Anyone use DipX for Acro’s?

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if this stuff is good enough to dip some sps and get rid of pests.

Also do you guys always remove the plug? How long to dip for? (With turkey baster moving water through the sticks)
Currently have the acro’s in quarantine tank and want to know how to properly dip them since I know some of them can be very sensitive.

thanks!

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I bought as well DipX for testing. I have to admit that I only used in three acros. Two didn’t respond that well to the dip… took some time to recover.
Disclaimer: one was a smooth skin - which normally don’t do well in dips anyway (tested on purpose).
Again, very small statistical sample :)

In my opinion, the only concrete disadvantage is that I can’t see properly if something is falling off the coral during the dip.
(Call me crazy, but I really like the smell)

I cut the base and then I dip for 10 minutes (DipX or CoralRX), in a small bucket and I move the water with a stick.
At the end, I remove the acro to another bucket (with clean water) and I spend some time looking what is in the medicated water.

Regarding the plugs, I always cut the coral from the plug, rock... target is to decrease the chances of potential eggs, algae, pests…
However, good to stress that cut the base plus dipping also increase the chance of mortality, particularly if you buy the coral online.
If you have a quarantine tank, things are way easier.

Still, if you have soft corals in your tank… which sometimes are impossible to remove it from the rock… the whole base cutting looses a bit its meaning. In that case, you will be mostly decreasing a change of acro pests.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I bought as well DipX for testing. I have to admit that I only used in three acros. Two didn’t respond that well to the dip… took some time to recover.
Disclaimer: one was a smooth skin - which normally don’t do well in dips anyway (tested on purpose).
Again, very small statistical sample :)

In my opinion, the only concrete disadvantage is that I can’t see properly if something is falling off the coral during the dip.
(Call me crazy, but I really like the smell)

I cut the base and then I dip for 10 minutes (DipX or CoralRX), in a small bucket and I move the water with a stick.
At the end, I remove the acro to another bucket (with clean water) and I spend some time looking what is in the medicated water.

Regarding the plugs, I always cut the coral from the plug, rock... target is to decrease the chances of potential eggs, algae, pests…
However, good to stress that cut the base plus dipping also increase the chance of mortality, particularly if you buy the coral online.
If you have a quarantine tank, things are way easier.

Still, if you have soft corals in your tank… which sometimes are impossible to remove it from the rock… the whole base cutting looses a bit its meaning. In that case, you will be mostly decreasing a change of acro pests.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for sharing! I’ll be sticking to my usual revive dip for 10 minutes with the turkey baster.
I think I wanna play it safe since the acro’s I got weren’t cheap… would be upset if they didn’t make it.
The guy at my LFS tried to sell dipX to me and I wasn’t sure if he was just trying to make a buck of actually help me. I think just sticking to the basics should be efficient and effective and I also plan on not cutting but just taking off the plug with a stainless steel scraper that way I don’t stress the coral more than they do with the dip.

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
regarding the DipX, can be to promising… might be just early to confim it.
Actually, the smell is very similar to Revive. I even suspected initially that was the same thing :)
As such, no judge linked to the LFS… very likely that he was trying to help.

What you can do as well is to look into the acros in the night with a flashlight. It is the easiest way to spot for red bugs. Check if there is any tiny small dots moving.

If not… Revive will probably do the rest of the job as well. Just be careful if one of the frags is a smooth skin acro.
If that is the case, maybe decrease a bit the dipping time.

Good luck!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back