Anyone using AI Prime HD's?

madducks42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup a frag tank about six months ago and it's not going so well. I have about 6-10 frags in it right now and none of them are thriving, several of them look like they're on their way out. Only one SPS, the rest are zoas, softies, LPS.

Tank Parameters:
Frag Tank Size: ~12gal, 24”x20”x6”
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 8
Phosphates: .1
Alkalinity: 8.5
Calcium: 410
Magnesium: 1400
PH: 8.4
Salinity 1.025

I'm using kalkwasser for Alk/Calcium which has been keeping it pretty steady. The return pump generates a decent amount of flow and I also have a small powerhead running. I have a small skimmer, not running carbon at the moment although I did for about a two month period. Doesn't seem to have any impact on the tank.

I have one AI Prime HD that is currently running at about 40% blues/purples and 30% white at the high point. It's on a 9 hour schedule so it ramps up to that and then ramps down. I don't know if the coral are getting too much light or not enough. One AI Prime HD isn't that powerful, but it's only 12 inches above the tank and it's a shallow tank so the coral are only about 2 inches below the water surface. I don't have a PAR meter though so I have no idea what type of light the coral are receiving. Some of the coral are closed up and/or losing color. I can't tell if it's bleaching or not though. I'm at a loss for what to do since the water parameters seem to be fine. I'll try to take some pictures of the coral this weekend to give you an idea of what they look like but in the meantime I'm curios if anyone is running this type of light and what type of schedule you have it on. Especially if you're running it over a shallow frag tank.

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup a frag tank about six months ago and it's not going so well. I have about 6-10 frags in it right now and none of them are thriving, several of them look like they're on their way out. Only one SPS, the rest are zoas, softies, LPS.

Tank Parameters:
Frag Tank Size: ~12gal, 24”x20”x6”
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 8
Phosphates: .1
Alkalinity: 8.5
Calcium: 410
Magnesium: 1400
PH: 8.4
Salinity 1.025

I'm using kalkwasser for Alk/Calcium which has been keeping it pretty steady. The return pump generates a decent amount of flow and I also have a small powerhead running. I have a small skimmer, not running carbon at the moment although I did for about a two month period. Doesn't seem to have any impact on the tank.

I have one AI Prime HD that is currently running at about 40% blues/purples and 30% white at the high point. It's on a 9 hour schedule so it ramps up to that and then ramps down. I don't know if the coral are getting too much light or not enough. One AI Prime HD isn't that powerful, but it's only 12 inches above the tank and it's a shallow tank so the coral are only about 2 inches below the water surface. I don't have a PAR meter though so I have no idea what type of light the coral are receiving. Some of the coral are closed up and/or losing color. I can't tell if it's bleaching or not though. I'm at a loss for what to do since the water parameters seem to be fine. I'll try to take some pictures of the coral this weekend to give you an idea of what they look like but in the meantime I'm curios if anyone is running this type of light and what type of schedule you have it on. Especially if you're running it over a shallow frag tank.

I run one and these things have been almost magical for me[emoji23] I keep it 8 inches off the surface and its growing sps on the floor of a 18” deep tank. I have some light demanding acros as well on the first 6” of the water and they are growing crazy fast. As much as I love them LED’s look too dim for me and I know that my growth can be even better with Halide T5 combo. I was running my UV at 120 and almost killed everything so now its at 20. Here is what I am running. UV 20, violet max, royal max, blue on max, 0 red and green, and 40 white.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 103 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back