Anyone using coral skeletons anymore?

Nooonan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked in the reef industry years ago but I left and haven’t had a tank since 2019.

I have a home in construction and I am in the process of planning a build. I’d like to have 250 to 350 gallon aggressive fish only tank but what I am imagining doesn’t have any live rock in the display. Instead of live rock, I’d like a 3 structures and I am picturing 3 large heads of blue ridge coral. Unfortunately these would be expensive to acquire so I’m hoping to find some artificial pieces. To make up for biological surface area, I would incorporate plenty of rock in the sump.

Is this still a thing? I’ve been searching all day and haven’t really come across anyone still using skeletons or artificial corals unless they’re using like a reef-form like structure (which I don’t want).

Thanks!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I worked in the reef industry years ago but I left and haven’t had a tank since 2019.

I have a home in construction and I am in the process of planning a build. I’d like to have 250 to 350 gallon aggressive fish only tank but what I am imagining doesn’t have any live rock in the display. Instead of live rock, I’d like a 3 structures and I am picturing 3 large heads of blue ridge coral. Unfortunately these would be expensive to acquire so I’m hoping to find some artificial pieces. To make up for biological surface area, I would incorporate plenty of rock in the sump.

Is this still a thing? I’ve been searching all day and haven’t really come across anyone still using skeletons or artificial corals unless they’re using like a reef-form like structure (which I don’t want).

Thanks!

Blue ridge grows fast......just buy one larger size piece & expand as you go. There are also plenty of other corals that won't demand a lot of care but will make your tank look a lot nicer.

Coral skeletons are more expensive than the real thing. In our hobby now most skeletons are referred to as branching rock.

I would also look into some of the branching type artificial rock and or bommies............it's on sale often.

Here's some examples---

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back