Anyone with experience with a Lemon Butterflyfish aka Milletseed Butterflyfish

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if anyone had any experience with keeping one with Euphyllia corals. I have a Frogspawn Frag and a Hammer Frag and just seeing if anyone has any experience keeping one with them? I know that Cheatodon can be hit and miss with them. They are listed as With Caution in terms of being reef safe, but in all other respects seem like a great fit for my 90 gallon tank.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemon butterflies are among “reef safer” but I think there’s a good chance it may find the hammer appetizing or any other fleshy coral. They’re also pretty shy so make sure no bullies or more dominant similar looking fish.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemon butterflies are among “reef safer” but I think there’s a good chance it may find the hammer appetizing or any other fleshy coral. They’re also pretty shy so make sure no bullies or more dominant similar looking fish.

I had one for a few years in my reef. It never touched any of my hammers, torches or frogspawns, but clams, some Zoas and fleshy LPS were on the menu. I have mostly SPS with some nipping, but no noticeable damage.

OP
OP
Jesterrace

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incidentally does Euphyllia sting by touch (ie Jellyfish)? Until recently, I had no idea they were stinging corals. My Melanurus Wrasse nipped my hammer a few times several months ago and then left it alone after that.

Last edited:

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think my bi-color dwarf angel got the stinging memo, it's all over my frogspawn but luckily it's pretty indestructible :)

OP
OP
Jesterrace

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No kidding. Frogspawn is arguably one of the hardiest LPS corals out there, if not the most. I have actually had far better luck with it than the 3 zoanthid frags I added. All the zoanthids died (and one had an Aiptasia hitchiker. . .GRR!!!!!!!). All reports say they are easier than the Frogspawn, yet the frogspawn has required next to nothing from me. It has put up with being in an underwater vortex when I placed it right in front of my 1950gph powerhead (before I realized that was a bad idea), a tank transfer and a complete rock restructure. It did okay under an Aqueon white/blue LED light bar and has done fabulous under a cheap mars aqua full spectrum light bar. I try to keep it in a well lit area, make sure it is just getting ambient flow and feed my fish Reef Frenzy twice a day and it loves this combo. My single frag is about 4-5 inches across when fully opened.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back