Apartment-friendly portable battery generators

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers!

For those of us in apartments that can not use gas generators or whole home battery generators, are the portable lithium battery generators w/ AC outputs a good options over PC UPS to provide power to core equipment during an outage?

an example I’m looking at is a 550 Wh generator

It would be awesome for us apartment reefers to learn our best options. Any input is welcome! whether considerations or recommendations.

thank you!

Diyreef8401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something similar to get through this last storm. I used a deep cycle marine battery with a 400 w inverter. It ran my koralias for 3 days no problem. If the voltage got low I could just use jumper cables and charge it with my car.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have read about the marine batteries. It sounds like most marine batteries are around 100 amp hours (Wh). The linked lithium generator has 5x the powering capacity at 500Wh.

it would be nice for us apartment reefers to have a ready to go generator that can power longer than the marine batteries and PC UPS.

I wonder if there are any better solutions than these lithium battery generators for a solid backup power source for outages.

Diyreef8401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To keep fish alive for 3 or 4 days you just need to keep the water moving and some aeration. So a power head and battery powered air pump would work. The ecotec battery backup works if you already have one of their pumps. If it is winter it might be a little bit tougher to keep the temp up.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back