Apex 1 inch flow sensor/meter

  • Thread starter Thread starter kadamik
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kadamik

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 4, 2022
Messages
100
Reaction score
38
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Apex system and I have a FMM module. I want to use the 1 inch flow sensor but I have 2 questions about it.
This will be installed on a return line form my UV running 3/4 tubing.

1. Will it work to do from 3/4 to 1 inch and then back down to 3/4 after the meter?
2. The specs show it measure flow from 150 GPH to 1500GPH. I need the measure around 120 GPH, will it show that or will the lowest speed it shows be 150 GPH?

I tried to find some flow meters on Amazon and I thought I found one, but after careful inspection it looks like they are using some metal parts on the fly wheel.

Do I have any other alternatives for a flow meter around 75 dollars that can connect to 3/4 tubing? (I can use pvc reducers and barb fittings to make most of them work, just having trouble finding any that are made for saltwater aquariums)

thanks
Keith
 
You can increase from 3/4 to 1" and back down again. Some meters need some distance of straight runs upstream and downstream although I would think a paddle wheel would not care. The meter is oversized for your application and probably will not give you an accurate reading below 150 gph. The only other meter I am aware of are the GHL meters. Some people have tried rotameters (non-electronic visual type meter) but you have to be very careful about the metals. I have also seen one positive thread about this ultra-sonic flow meter TUF-2000B that attaches to the outside of the pipe.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ultrasonic-flow-meter-the-tuf-2000b.924733/
 
I have an Apex system and I have a FMM module. I want to use the 1 inch flow sensor but I have 2 questions about it.
This will be installed on a return line form my UV running 3/4 tubing.

1. Will it work to do from 3/4 to 1 inch and then back down to 3/4 after the meter?
2. The specs show it measure flow from 150 GPH to 1500GPH. I need the measure around 120 GPH, will it show that or will the lowest speed it shows be 150 GPH?

I tried to find some flow meters on Amazon and I thought I found one, but after careful inspection it looks like they are using some metal parts on the fly wheel.

Do I have any other alternatives for a flow meter around 75 dollars that can connect to 3/4 tubing? (I can use pvc reducers and barb fittings to make most of them work, just having trouble finding any that are made for saltwater aquariums)
I have a 1 inch that reads 89
 
Actually 79 right now
 

Attachments

  • 30747B44-8F13-4EEF-BAC8-EECEEE5CDF34.png
    30747B44-8F13-4EEF-BAC8-EECEEE5CDF34.png
    152.4 KB · Views: 110
This is 1 inch pvc to 1 inch flow and 1 inch pvc out about 1 foot then 1/2inch barb to my scrubber
 
Just to let everyone know, I install the 1 inch flow sensor to my 3/4 tubbing setup and it is working great. It is giving me a flow rate of around 90 GPH.
 
I legit have the same exact question as you.. I’m plumbing into a UV and my return line is 3/4 but got the 1 inch apex flow sensor. Can you post a pic of your set up how you plumbed in? Thanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new