Apex aquacontroller from Neptune Systems

bigmatt1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow i dont care if the color scheme sucks. the unit itself is worth the money. considering its cheaper then almost all units and it makes things easy and complicated free witch is allways nice. paul are looking to get one when they realease it.

Tswifty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it looks like it was definitely released to directly compete with the RKE. One of the gripes about the AC units is they are kind of a pain to flush mount because of how the probes attach. It can be done, just not very easily. I browsed through a listing earlier... it seemed like not many features were added, but some of the options which require external devices are now included in the main unit.

One thing that will be nice for anyone looking to get a controller... you should see an increase in used ACIII's and ACjr's for sale in the near future. LOL

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow i dont care if the color scheme sucks. the unit itself is worth the money. considering its cheaper then almost all units and it makes things easy and complicated free witch is allways nice. paul are looking to get one when they realease it.

most likely a Christmas present to myself. I had decided on the RKE until I saw this.

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 x ReefKeeper Elite Head Unit (GC1)
2 x RKM-PC4 (total of 8 outlets)
1 x RKM-SL1 (Inputs: pH, ORP, Temperature, 2 x Switch Ports)
1 x RKM-NET
1 x Temperature probe
1 x Digital Aquatics pH probe

RKE w/NET is $590 and that doesn't include the orp probe.

the Apex comes with an orp probe and integrates aquasurf.

BIGGUN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I WANT ONE!!!
I WANT ONE!!!
I WANT ONE!!!

Kevin

Spiderwoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loyal to Neptune and don't care if it's an exact copy of what ever. Programming AC is a breeze and it doesn't have bugs. I tried to get the RKE, but I received a rudish email from the company stating that they don't have time to reply to emails and don't know when the unit is going to be available. At the same time they were getting ready to take pre-orders for the system. Well AC 3 got my money :) Soon after got a AC Jr for a smaller tank.

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loyal to Neptune and don't care if it's an exact copy of what ever. Programming AC is a breeze and it doesn't have bugs. I tried to get the RKE, but I received a rudish email from the company stating that they don't have time to reply to emails and don't know when the unit is going to be available. At the same time they were getting ready to take pre-orders for the system. Well AC 3 got my money :) Soon after got a AC Jr for a smaller tank.

The only reason I was considering the RKE was that the package I was looking to get compared to the AC3pro was over $200 cheaper. I wanted to go with the AC3pro just on reputation alone and capabilities but this seals the deal. Neptune it is....:bigsmile: I always said if they could just bring the price down a little I would do it, but to beat the price.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... I just found another thread on the Apex on RC. I have actually paid for an RKE, but they're out of stock, so I may ask for my money back and wait on one of these. It seems like a killer deal to be honest. All of that for (what I assume will be) right at $499... incredible! Not to mention it looks great... I need more details, though.

The good thing is that this thing is going to give Digital Aquatics a serious run for their money. It has the same features as the RKE plus the net module plus the advanced lighting module AND the net module, for the same price as just the RKE package. That's pretty sweet.

Brandon

jimsflies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the AC3 was already giving the RKE serious competition. I had been looking at the RKE to see if it had anything my AC3 didn't and couldn't see any reason to make the switch. I'm looking forward to more info on the Apex.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about serious, but some competition. ;) It has quite a bit the AC3 doesn't, but that's a subject for another thread, no? ;)

I am also looking forward to more info on the Apex. Still leaning toward an RKE, but we'll see.

Brandon

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the AC3 PRo was better than the RKE as far as flexibility in programing and the use of X-10 modules, but the RKE was $200 cheaper for a similar package. Now it kinda swung the other direction. The Apex will run at least $100 cheaper. Do you know if the RKE has Tunze support? I'm not sure but don't think so. So if you have Tunze that's another for Neptune.

I don't mind this turning into a controller comparison thread either. For me, like many of you, I was/am on the fence with choosing between the two. I think I have one foot in the yard of Neptune at this point...:bigsmile:

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the AC3 PRo was better than the RKE as far as flexibility in programing and the use of X-10 modules, but the RKE was $200 cheaper for a similar package. Now it kinda swung the other direction. The Apex will run at least $100 cheaper. Do you know if the RKE has Tunze support? I'm not sure but don't think so. So if you have Tunze that's another for Neptune.

I don't mind this turning into a controller comparison thread either. For me, like many of you, I was/am on the fence with choosing between the two. I think I have one foot in the yard of Neptune at this point...:bigsmile:

Personally I don't think X-10 modules count. At the very least, not for me. ;)

The RKE at present does not have Tunze support, which is a concern for a lot of people, but not an issue for me as I have Koralias. :)

More than anything, I want to know what modules Curt is planning on rolling out with. The expansion of the RKE is a big benefit to me.

To each his own. I think the only thing that can't be contested is the prices. It would take probably $700 to get the same functionality with an RKE that the Apex comes with out of the box. However, we don't know how much expansion for the Apex will be yet, but I assume it will be reasonable and the new power bar won't be too far in price from the current DC8.

The other thing with price is that there is no doubt the European controllers are EXPENSIVE. Their basic packages may be under $500, but $250 powerbars just don't amuse me too much, and thus I sold my Aquatronica. :)

Just a few thoughts!

Brandon

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back