Apex controller questions

acr0p0ra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Apex controller and I am setting it up on a tank with 3 400w MH. Am I supposed to used 3 outlets(1 for each ballast) on my energy bar? Seems wasteful but I dont really see any other way.

And, I noticed the instruction say to not plug certain things into outlets 4 & 8. but what are things that I should plug into those outlets?

Here are things that i plan on plugging into the energy bar, if you can please suggest which outlets to use.

3 MH ballast
2 MP 40 vortechs
fans
Heater
phos reactor

Thanks in advance :)

Glenn

Reefer and Model Railroad
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone else will have to answer on the MH's but I generally don't plug my Vortechs in the controllers. Since they run 24x7, I just plug them into a powerstrip, then plug that into a wall outlet.

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC, the EB8 outlets are rated for 5 amps (5A X ~110V= ~550W) So you're limited to a single 400W MH per outlet. The new EB4 give you 3 outlets @ 8 Amps and 1 @ 12 amps that would allow you to combine if desired. You can combine other items that you wish to control together, as long as they don't exceed to 5 Amp max.

Most of the outlets on the EB8 are Triacs (solid state no moving parts.) The advantage is they are capable of far more cycles than a mechanical relay - The limitations are they require a minimum amount of current passing through them to function. I can't provide an exact minimum, however I've found that BRS dosing pumps do NOT draw enough for reliable operation (the outlets will switch on, but may fail to turn off.)

Outlets 4 and 8 are traditional mechanical relays that are extremely reliable, regardless of amperage. I would reserve those for very low power use items - although in your equipment list, I don't think it matters much as all items should draw well above the minimum. As mentioned, the Vortechs have their own, very capable controller. The advantages of including them on your EB8 are somewhat less and include on/off, power monitoring, through the Apex, and perhaps battery backup. If you're running short on outlets, I'd use a standard power strip for the MP-40s and later consider the Vortech battery backup and the WXM module which allows you full integration with the Apex without using up EB8 outlets.

Reggie

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, you need to plug 1 ballast to 1 outlet due to the amps. If you want you can do something like:

Ballast 1: 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Ballast 2: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Ballast 3: 11:00 am to 5:00 pm

I would plug the fans and the reactor pump to 4 & 8. As for the vortechs, you don't really need to control them.

BTW, just in case you need a sample code for your MH, here's how I code mine:
Code:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 10:00 to 16:00 Then ON 
If Temp > 82.0 Then OFF 
Min Time 030:00 Then OFF

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back