Apex Controller - what do i all need!?

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a list of what I am all connecting to an apex or plan on/want to. Does the inital 800$ apex have everything I need/want to connect all of this stuff or do i need to buy extra add ons!?!

-2 maxspect xf250 gyres with 1 controller - do u connect the gyres to the controller and then the 1 controller to the apex!?!? - i want to copy the brs settings they used on the 160 but have no idea what im doing
- 2 titanium heaters - ie just on or off want to have the apex do all the calculations for temperature and when to turn on and off.
- 3 AI lights, 1 26hd and 2 52hds
- 1 waveline 10k dc pump
- 1 skimz sm 162 skimmer
- 1 kessil h160
- 1 tunze ATO

later i will add...
-2 apex dos pumps
- 1 apex auto feeder
- 1 top lids tm lid. the ones with the fancy internal light - basic programming just on at night and off during the day

really hoping the 800$ gets me everything I need but dont want to buy it and then realize oh i need X...

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a list of what I am all connecting to an apex or plan on/want to. Does the inital 800$ apex have everything I need/want to connect all of this stuff or do i need to buy extra add ons!?!

-2 maxspect xf250 gyres with 1 controller - do u connect the gyres to the controller and then the 1 controller to the apex!?!? - i want to copy the brs settings they used on the 160 but have no idea what im doing
- 2 titanium heaters - ie just on or off want to have the apex do all the calculations for temperature and when to turn on and off.
- 3 AI lights, 1 26hd and 2 52hds
- 1 waveline 10k dc pump
- 1 skimz sm 162 skimmer
- 1 kessil h160
- 1 tunze ATO

later i will add...
-2 apex dos pumps
- 1 apex auto feeder
- 1 top lids tm lid. the ones with the fancy internal light - basic programming just on at night and off during the day

really hoping the 800$ gets me everything I need but dont want to buy it and then realize oh i need X...
How many outlets do you need to plug everything in? As far as the Gyre, I have an Icecap 1k and I plug the controller into the Apex. I use an Apex outlet so I’m sure it has power but I do all the programming on the gyre controller. There is a Gyre module so you can do the programming through Apex but I decided I didn’t need it.

Also, do you want to control your lights through the Apex? If so, you might need an Apex module for that. I have an ATI T-5 fixture and plug both plugs into the Apex. They’re programmed to turn on/off, with 2 of the bulbs coming on 30 minutes before and after for a dawn dusk effect.

It all depends on how much remote control you want to have through Apex Fusion (from your computer/phone).

I just got an Apex Jr this year and have been on a heavy learning curve. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Cody Clark

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many outlets do you need to plug everything in? As far as the Gyre, I have an Icecap 1k and I plug the controller into the Apex. I use an Apex outlet so I’m sure it has power but I do all the programming on the gyre controller. There is a Gyre module so you can do the programming through Apex but I decided I didn’t need it.

Also, do you want to control your lights through the Apex? If so, you might need an Apex module for that. I have an ATI T-5 fixture and plug both plugs into the Apex. They’re programmed to turn on/off, with 2 of the bulbs coming on 30 minutes before and after for a dawn dusk effect.

It all depends on how much remote control you want to have through Apex Fusion (from your computer/phone).

I just got an Apex Jr this year and have been on a heavy learning curve. Hope this helps!

yeah I would like to just do it all through the apex. I am happy with ATIs app but I figured why not just use apex. Idk if I'm gonna need tons of extra separate controllers though. The gyres I def want through apex so I can run the same thing BRS did for their 160 with each one ramping up and down. I think I need the icecap apex control mod then right!? and not the gyre controller!? Its def a big learning curve since I have no idea what I'm doing and not many people I know really use them....

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the thing with the gyres. You don't need to control them with apex to do ramping and changing setting. The gyre controller can do all that.

If you want to control them through the apex then you will have to buy the 2 gyres, 2 icecap modules, then buy 2 power supplies from coralvue. (Because the pumps alone don't come with power)

It was much easier for me to just control them with the gyre controller

OP
OP
Cody Clark

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the thing with the gyres. You don't need to control them with apex to do ramping and changing setting. The gyre controller can do all that.

If you want to control them through the apex then you will have to buy the 2 gyres, 2 icecap modules, then buy 2 power supplies from coralvue. (Because the pumps alone don't come with power)

It was much easier for me to just control them with the gyre controller

geesh....why is it so much extra loll.....gonna cost a fortune extra just to use the dang apex...

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
geesh....why is it so much extra loll.....gonna cost a fortune extra just to use the dang apex...

Skip controlling them with apex. They are technically "compatible" but not easily

You'll be impressed what the gyre controller can do. Ask and I'll let you know if it can do what you're looking for

OP
OP
Cody Clark

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geesh. Outside of the temp probe I am starting to wonder what good the apex even is. Maybe I should just get the apex jr. I like the temp probe ph probe and salinity probe. ORP I doubt ill ever use. I want to be able to control the heaters and have that as a backup as its the biggest failure rate in aquariums it seems. If I don't need it for my lights or my gyres what do I even need an apex for!?

This is the video where they explain what they do to ramp up and down with the apex on the gyres. Wanted to mimic this as I am gonna have alternating gyres like they use in the brs 160.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/r2r-faq-an-in-depth-q-a-session-about-the-brs-160/

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make that flow pattern with the gyre controller. The vortechs are much more suited for the apex because the vortech controller isn't as complex and can't create sequences like the gyre controller can. Don't think the apex isn't useful. It is the greatest tool I've purchased. I'm using the classic and it runs my entire tank.

You can always plug the gyre controller into an apex outlet and the apex can still control its on/off function

OP
OP
Cody Clark

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make that flow pattern with the gyre controller. The vortechs are much more suited for the apex because the vortech controller isn't as complex and can't create sequences like the gyre controller can. Don't think the apex isn't useful. It is the greatest tool I've purchased. I'm using the classic and it runs my entire tank.

You can always plug the gyre controller into an apex outlet and the apex can still control its on/off function
okay guess ill just get the gyres with 1 controller. do they come with the power supply or do I still need to buy that also?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gyre controller is all you need IMO. It has several programming modes and you can control the intensity of the flow. I plug mine into an apex outlet so I can use the apex feed mode. The Apex is worth it IMO. You can monitor your tank 24/7 and can program it to remind you of maintenance tasks. It’s great for things like dosing pumps. The programming possibilities are endless. I’ll never run a tank without one again. The Apex Jr works for my 40g but keep in mind that you can only add 7 apex modules. That’s enough for me but if your setup is going to be more complicated, I’d buy the full one. It’s worth every penny.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 68 46.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back