Apex Controlling new Maxspec Gyre xf350?

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Is it possible to control the new maxspex gyre xf350 with the apex? I am mainly interested in controlling it in terms of feed cycles, I use a feed command for the automated Pelletier feeder and then would need it to turn off for the frozen food feeding on Feed "B".

I was thinking about getting 2 WAV pumps for the price of 1 maxspec gyre xf350, but feel the gyre is a little more concealed and not so bulky in the tank?

Thanks,

Nick

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I'm aware there is no way to fully control a XF350 with the Apex. You can power it On and Off through an EnergyBar output, but cannot adjust the speed or direction. The IceCap Gyre Interface Module for the older XF130 & XF230 pumps does not work with the XF350. I have two XF230's controlled by my Apex through the IceCap modules.

CoralsAddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the dual XF330 and run Apex. There’s not a way to control the pumps other than on and off as suggested above.
I have a WXM module I got for my Radions and could technically switch to Vortech pumps for Apex controllability but the Gyre is just so nice.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are only interested in the feed cycles, then you can control the gyre through the energy bar like suncrest said. I have the older 200 series models and have them running on the original controller through the energy bar for the same exact feeding purposes. I used to run one off the ice cap module but reverted back to the energy bar to run two gyre pumps off the same controller. The new 300 series cannot be controlled through apex like the older ones with the ice cap module.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IOTa support was supposed to be coming to gyres via ICV6, but yeah, that has been "soon" for over two years now and the initiative seems to be completely dead / abandoned. You can replicate what you want to do by using a wave engine to drive the gyres and running a 0-10v from apex to drive "feed" modes, etc.

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing it through a Hydros wave engine. The integration with the variable speed ports is very good. And you eliminate at least one power brick.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IOTa support was supposed to be coming to gyres via ICV6, but yeah, that has been "soon" for over two years now and the initiative seems to be completely dead / abandoned. You can replicate what you want to do by using a wave engine to drive the gyres and running a 0-10v from apex to drive "feed" modes, etc.
I’m going this route on my new build. Control and reduce a power brick for my two 250s.

So far no complaints. Did run into an issue on lower speed the WaveEngine have a fault in the pumps. One pump not bad but the other keeps locking up. As I toasted my Gyre controller (spilled salt water on in :rolleyes: ) when moving over I don’t know if it’s a pump problem or controller.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are minimum speeds and I am not sure the defaults are correct for the 250s. I switched mine out for 330s.
I have 20% set for minimum. The other pump locks up from 0–100. I know it’s probably not the WaveEngine as I switched pumps/outlets and had no issues with the working gyre.

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have my gyre connected to a Hydros wave engine. In the hydros app I see pump errors some times but the gyre seems to be running fine. Do you have the same issue?
No, I don't. In total, I have 4 wave engines controlling 3 pairs of gyres and 2 pairs of octopulse. No errors. It could be a dirty pump head or a loose or bad cable connection.

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump. Has any updated developments this? I saw a post on the Neptune forum that says you can use the icecap module for running max spec gyre. Anyone try this.

Back