apex Duel clock question, i mean WHY?

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, everyone, i got questions and comments for improvements about the two clocks in my fusion dashboard. I had an issue that made me start questioning these clocks, I had my lights programmed to come on and off at a certain time and I noticed they were going off early. it was odd because the offtime for these lights was set for 22:00 and they would go off at 21:00 (using the local clock) well the off-time was being controlled by the apex clock, for some reason, it runs an hour ahead. yes, i have gone thru the clock task multiple times to try and change these two clocks to read the same and I have yet to get my dashboard clock to sync with the local clock.
However.....

while on this journey of what the heck, I was playing around in the clock set up ( found under the expanded icon then select the clock icon) i did get the two clocks here to sync up. by disabling the DST (LAST PIC). Upon doing this i noticed that my lights got dimmer so that told me that the apex light program was affected by this change i will assume this is a positive.

1. why 2 clocks? it's so odd, I have read that some think it's for traveling purposes but for someone who never travels and reading about people questioning these clocks as well, outside their time zone I'm not sure if this is true.

Capture.JPG

2. some time zone citys are not listed, like mine. I mean why would they not add Nashville. is there any CST cities in that timezone map? they need to add a zoom feature to that time zone map.
Capture1.JPG

Capture3.JPG

STILL, the dashboard clocks remain un synced, the apex clock still reads 1 hr fast.
does anyone else have one clock running faster or slower on your dashboard? and if you fixed that, how did you fix that. this annoys the hell out of me. one clock on timezone simple. i did not think it was possible to complicate something as simple as a clock. lol. Does anyone have a solid reason for these two clocks I'm really interested to know? as a reefer, i see no use to have two times displayed.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After setting the Apex clock to your local time zone and daylight savings time, you need to reboot the Apex for those changes to actually take effect.

As for the reason it shows two clocks, Fusion is accessible anywhere in the world with an Internet connection. If your Apex is configured correctly for the local time, and you’re accessing Fusion from the same time zone, then it will only display a single clock. If you travel outside your time zone, it will show two different clocks. Or if you have access to someone else’s Apex who lives in a different time zone, you’ll again see two clocks when you’re managing their Apex.

The Apex programming will follow its local clock regardless of where you are.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After setting the Apex clock to your local time zone and daylight savings time, you need to reboot the Apex for those changes to actually take effect.

As for the reason it shows two clocks, Fusion is accessible anywhere in the world with an Internet connection. If your Apex is configured correctly for the local time, and you’re accessing Fusion from the same time zone, then it will only display a single clock. If you travel outside your time zone, it will show two different clocks. Or if you have access to someone else’s Apex who lives in a different time zone, you’ll again see two clocks when you’re managing their Apex.

The Apex programming will follow its local clock regardless of where you are.
I have to disagree on the time zones. You see I have not traveled outside my time zone. Since I got the apex. An it has always shown two clocks. As for setting it up correctly there is only one way to set it up. Secondly last night my lights went off at 22:00 an the local clock read 21: 00 an the apex clock reading 22:00, an my programming had my lights set to turn off at 22:00. Can u explain this? These actions contradict your response. I'm not being rude by the way just laying the fact out there.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t say you traveled. I explained that traveling is the reason they have the feature in Fusion to show the clock where your Apex lives, and another clock showing the local time when you’re away from home.

I’m saying your Apex clock is not set properly. Once it is set to your time zone in Nashville, you save the setting, and then you reboot the Apex, everything will match and you’ll only see one clock.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go into the Clock Setup and adjust it to this:

55B2366A-4795-4DF7-8B06-97F5A6883E31.jpeg

I got the -5.00 from looking up Nashville’s time zone:
5B732E16-C86B-4613-8BC4-C8FB6B79E8F5.jpeg

After saving the settings by clicking the orange cloud icon at the top, reboot your Apex. To reboot, either disconnect both AquaBus cables from the Apex, or go into the Misc Setup screen and click the Restart Apex checkbox at the bottom and again click the orange cloud icon at the top.

After the reboot, you’ll only see a single clock because the local time on your device where you’re running Fusion and the Apex clock will match.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree on the time zones. You see I have not traveled outside my time zone. Since I got the apex. An it has always shown two clocks. As for setting it up correctly there is only one way to set it up. Secondly last night my lights went off at 22:00 an the local clock read 21: 00 an the apex clock reading 22:00, an my programming had my lights set to turn off at 22:00. Can u explain this? These actions contradict your response. I'm not being rude by the way just laying the fact out there.
I see where I worded my reply poorly. When I said the Apex programming follows the “local clock”, I meant the time the Apex thinks it is. But on the Fusion screen that is worded as “Apex Time”. So yes, I should not have used the term “local”. But the concept I was conveying is correct, that the Apex programming follows the “Apex Time” and if that does not match what the clock on your wall shows, that means your Apex clock is not set properly as I explained above.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that very detailed an should be easy to follow i will keep you posted. Seems I've have done all this except the reboot

Regorthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stumbled accross this post - wondered the same thing about two clocks - re booted and all good - thanks .... top stuff

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the explanation. I now know why that although I set daylight savings, I still get 2 clocks in the UK with different times when the clock goes back/forwards. I never knew I had to reboot th Apex! That does seem crazy to have to reboot the entire OS for this to take effect but good to know.

Maddreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a bump because I had this issue and this was the simplest and clearest (to me) explanation to address it. Thanks to @SuncrestReef. Now if I could just get my Tridents functioning . . .

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok well, update here to the duel clock and a original thanks to @SuncrestReef but once daylight saving time hit my duel clocks returned. not sure why.

1637418096267.png

but i have restarted via the misc op[tions screen, no change.

i have hard reset the apex no change

I have not traveled outside my time zone since fixing the clock in June (aka standard time) and my local clock is correct. I was a bit confused. again the duel clock returned once daylight savings time hit. The only fixes were to manually bump the time zone up by one hour from -5 to -6. or adjust for daylight savings time manually. I find this odd, I mean what's the purpose of the "ENABLE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME" option". So when it's time to spring forward (revert back to standard time) I will have to go into the clock settings and manually change from -6 to -5 right? if not why is my clock not adjusting correctly? -------- personal note NEPTUNE ------- NASHVILLE IS STILL NOT LISTED. LOL

Last edited:

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the point of the dual clock is to ignore daylight saving time, so you don't randomly get a longer or shorter light duration or missed additive dosing some days, while at the same time giving you an equivalent local clock.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok well, update here to the duel clock and a original thanks to @SuncrestReef but once daylight saving time hit my duel clocks returned. not sure why.

1637418096267.png

but i have restarted via the misc op[tions screen, no change.

i have hard reset the apex no change

I have not traveled outside my time zone since fixing the clock in June (aka standard time) and my local clock is correct. I was a bit confused. again the duel clock returned once daylight savings time hit. The only fixes were to manually bump the time zone up by one hour from -5 to -6. or adjust for daylight savings time manually. I find this odd, I mean what's the purpose of the "ENABLE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME" option". So when it's time to spring forward (revert back to standard time) I will have to go into the clock settings and manually change from -6 to -5 right? if not why is my clock not adjusting correctly? -------- personal note NEPTUNE ------- NASHVILLE IS STILL NOT LISTED. LOL
I'm in eastern and -5 in time zone. You're central, so it should be -6 for you.

Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 11.00.08 AM.png

BTW US/Central is listed at the bottom of the list in Apex.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 145 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back