Apex Help please..Trying to hook up Cal reactor PH probe to unit

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tryin to get Apex to shut off CO2 if it drops to low..1st problem im having is i cant select my 2nd ph probe (the one in reactor). 2nd it only has the option to select "ON" for High PH..I want it to turn off if PH gets to low..

Im rather dumb when it comes to Computers and this type stuff..I also downloaded the 1,465,000 pages of the unoffical users guide and it wasnt much help either..

any help would be great

Thanks
Ed

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why it isn't recognizing your second probe. If you're running the Apex, it should recognize the probe as long as it's compatible with the Apex. If you're running an Apex lite and using the expansion module, try updating the firmware. As far as programming, you can do something simple along the lines of:

Fallback OFF
If pH < 8.0 Then Off

Not sure if you're running it in reference to the probe in the reactor or the sump, but replace the 8.0 with the minumum pH and then it will shut down the outlet accordingly.

OP
OP
Emoney

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why it isn't recognizing your second probe. If you're running the Apex, it should recognize the probe as long as it's compatible with the Apex. If you're running an Apex lite and using the expansion module, try updating the firmware. As far as programming, you can do something simple along the lines of:

Fallback OFF
If pH < 8.0 Then Off

Not sure if you're running it in reference to the probe in the reactor or the sump, but replace the 8.0 with the minumum pH and then it will shut down the outlet accordingly.

does it have to be ran in a certian outlet on the DC8 ? have it in outlet 4 right now..the 2nd PH probe is in the ORP slot and reading ph fine..Just doesnt give me the option to select the 2nd probe

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how to reference the second pH probe. Maybe you would reference it under the name ORP instead of pH, seeing as that's where it's plugged in. So it would be:
Fallback OFF
If ORP < 8.0 Then OFF

If you contact Neptune, I'm sure they could steer you in the right direction.

Reggie

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few things here. If you are using two pH probes, with the second probe connected to the ORP/pH port, then you have to go to Setup -> ORP Setup and make sure you use it as a pH port. Since you mentioned the second pH probe is working, you must have done this already.

Second, are you using a DC8 or an EB8? I'm assuming you meant EB8 and not DC8 since there are a few more things to setup if you are using a DC8.

Third, I'm assuming when you say you are using port 4, you mean that's where your CO2 solenoid is connected. if that's the case, here's how you need to set it up:

2011-03-21_1158.png

Note that you need to change the probe name to 'pH2'. pH2 is the actual name of the second pH probe when when the ORP port is set to 'pH'.
High value is the only thing you are concerned with. "On when 'High'" means, it will pump CO2 when the pH2 goes higher than 6.5. Otherwise, it's off.
Low value is not used in this case. It doesn't matter what you put in there.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emoney

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few things here. If you are using two pH probes, with the second probe connected to the ORP/pH port, then you have to go to Setup -> ORP Setup and make sure you use it as a pH port. Since you mentioned the second pH probe is working, you must have done this already.

Second, are you using a DC8 or an EB8? I'm assuming you meant EB8 and not DC8 since there are a few more things to setup if you are using a DC8.

Third, I'm assuming when you say you are using port 4, you mean that's where your CO2 solenoid is connected. if that's the case, here's how you need to set it up:

2011-03-21_1158.png

Note that you need to change the probe name to 'pH2'. pH2 is the actual name of the second pH probe when when the ORP port is set to 'pH'.
High value is the only thing you are concerned with. "On when 'High'" means, it will pump CO2 when the pH2 goes higher than 6.5. Otherwise, it's off.

I hope this helps.

GREAT!!!! this should help alot!!

OP
OP
Emoney

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2011-03-21_1158.png

I hope this helps.

One more question...can i set it to shut off when ph drops below 6.6 ?? instead of on ?

Reggie

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then high value should be set to 6.6. That's all you need. When it drops lower, it will turn off automatically.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back