Apex Help Please!

Palmetto Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a tank rebuild a few months back and just got around to putting new probes on my Apex (old version). I have multiple problems:

First, I have two temp probes. Probe "TMPX4" works flawlessly which is great because it controls my heater. Probe "TMP" is crazy. It gives me readings that are spot on sometimes and then it will spike to 170-180 degrees on Apex Fusion. This happens multiple times a day. See graphs on pic. I've tried calibrating it, but nothing works. Why? How do I fix?

Second, I installed a new Salinity probe yesterday afternoon and I was getting correct readings on my Apex display when the probe was in the calibration solution, but when I transferred it to my sump it dropped and is holding steady at roughly 29 PPT. I tried calibrating it a couple of times and each time it would read correctly while probe was in the calibration solution, but then drop when I put it in my sump. I have back-checked it with two different refractors which both confirm my salinity is 1.026/35PPT. What gives?

Lastly, I also installed a new Ph probe and am getting similar readings to my TMP probe. It fluctuates wildly from correct readings of 8.00-8.20 to incorrect readings of 18.00-19.00. This also happens multiple times a day and typically when the TMP probe is simultaneously out of sorts. See pics below of my current readings. You can see from my graphs the spikes that I mentioned above.

ORP works great. No spikes other than when I was messing with it yesterday while work on other probes. It works great and was super useful when I was running a Sulfur Denitrator on my previous tank build.

Can anyone offer any advise on how to resolve my issues with my Temp, Salinity, and Ph probes?

Apex - 12-14-2020.jpg

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the probe spikes correspond with any output that turns on or off at those times? If so, it could be electromagnetic interference. Try routing the probe cables away from any power cables.

The salinity issue is most likely due to air trapped inside the probe. Fully submerge the probe and tip it upside down under water, then gently tap it. You’ll likely see air bubbles escape.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when ever i have strange numbers i usually have air trapped in probe, i wiggle mine around (not too crazy) and that fixes the problem. if that does not work after a day or so i will recalibrate.
Also where in your sump do you have them?

OP
OP
Palmetto Reefer

Palmetto Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! As part of my cable management I do have my probe cables strapped together and tie strapped to other electrical cord bundles. I will separate them from other electrical cords and try to route them independently away from anything that has more than 12-24v. I will also try fully submerging & inverting the probes in my sump to make sure that there are no air bubbles trapped in the end of the probes. Right now my probes are located in the main sump section with the protein skimmer.

I'll provide feedback once I've had a chance to try the suggestions.

Thanks again for the responses!

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. My ph probe spikes like that too sometimes, though not that high, and then goes right back down to where it should be.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! As part of my cable management I do have my probe cables strapped together and tie strapped to other electrical cord bundles. I will separate them from other electrical cords and try to route them independently away from anything that has more than 12-24v. I will also try fully submerging & inverting the probes in my sump to make sure that there are no air bubbles trapped in the end of the probes. Right now my probes are located in the main sump section with the protein skimmer.

I'll provide feedback once I've had a chance to try the suggestions.

Thanks again for the responses!
i have mine in a section with skimmer and skimmers make bubbles so you may have microbubbles . just a thought but i also think that having power cables zip tied to probe cables can create havoc. once you look into those two things please let us know if it resolves.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Turn salinity probe upside down to assure no air bubbles are trapped in probe cavity
I have mine slightly angled to allow air escape

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice something that lends itself to the interference theory. The last two days in a row, my pH spiked at exactly 11 PM, which is the time my main lights cycle OFF. So that's interesting.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice something that lends itself to the interference theory. The last two days in a row, my pH spiked at exactly 11 PM, which is the time my main lights cycle OFF. So that's interesting.
:rolleyes::cool:sounds like it is at least some of your problems..keep us posted

Back