APEX HELP

aquaman05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a apex black label that I've had for years. When I took my aquarium down my display wasn't working so I thought it was bad. That was about 5 years ago. Fast forward to a few weeks ago I decided to get back into the hobby. I plugged the brain in and it seem to power up but then the light went off. I tried a few more times then smoke started coming out and something sounds loose inside. I know this is trashed now but was thinking maybe just buy a new brain and hope everything else works ? I can't check everything else without the brain correct? I wasn't sure if anyone else has ran into something like this or not. I can buy a used brain for about 75 bucks, that's cheaper than a wholeness unit but not sure if everything else works.
Thanks in advance

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you suspect your display do not plug it into the new unit. My display failed recently and caused the main brain and one EB8 to shut down as soon as I tried to plug in the display. Sadly there does not appear to be any way to test components without risking destroying others. Very poor design!

OP
OP
A

aquaman05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you suspect your display do not plug it into the new unit. My display failed recently and caused the main brain and one EB8 to shut down as soon as I tried to plug in the display. Sadly there does not appear to be any way to test components without risking destroying others. Very poor design!
Thanks for the information! I'm not sure what to do.

goggs29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sometimes electronic devices not stored for long time storage like using those moisture absorbing packets found in new electronics can develop moisture in them from humidity, temperature swings. An upgraded system is costly but finding out the unit failed and it calling for heater to be on all day could be catastrophic. My experience 12 years ago with reef keeper system.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't fully test the other modules without a working head unit. However, you can at least test Aquabus ports for any shorts with a multimeter. Outter pins for each port should not be showing very low or no resistance. Same with the inner data pins. Also there shouldn't be any continuity to the ground, except of course for the ground pin.
If you can rule out any shorts on the Aquabus ports, then at least things won't blow up when plugged in. You still won't know if the communication is working properly without plugging it into a head unit or a test unit.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back