Apex or Seneye Works Better for Me?

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am starting a seagrass-heavy 20 gallon. (ref: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/seagrass-nano-lasse-vs-walstad.706309/)

Ideally, for my purposes I would like to monitor (in order of priority) pH, oxygen/carbon, NO3, PO4, KH. Obviously, that's $1000+ worth of stuff and I'm not jumping in that far just yet. (and honestly I'd probably jump into GHL for this)

Automated pH and carbon/oxygen monitoring are offered by Seneye. (ammonia measurement might also be useful for the initial stages of the tank) I balk at that though because it looks like it's one of those things that always needs add-ons (seneye, and if I don't want to keep a Windows computer next to it 24/7 I'll need the web server, wifi module - boom $500). Unlike the apex, it does not look like i can just hook up a router and it's good to go. (I'm aware that I need a monthly replacement package for pH and ammonia)

I could get an Apex brain for $100, an AC adapter for maybe another $10-40, connected it to a router (which I have sitting around doing nothing), and then get myself a pH probe ($75 for a "lab grade probe" whatever that means + a bit more for the calibration fluid). I thought it had a probe for carbon or oxygen, but I find that it's an ORP probe (probably not the same thing?). That's over $200 for the pH function, $300 for the pH+ORP

Then there's always the handheld pH meter (sitting around doing nothing....) and the paper logbook........... but persistent monitoring would be valuable, I think. It's just a question of how valuable..........

Anyway, I'd welcome people's thoughts and suggestions for alternatives.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex ORP probe is not the same as an Oxygen probe. Neptune does offer a dissolved oxygen probe, but it's one of their most expensive components at $700 for the probe, plus $95 for the PM3 module to connect the probe. See https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/lab-grade-dissolved-oxygen-probe-neptune-systems.html.

Also, the Apex cannot monitor NO3 or PO4. You can test for Alk, calcium, and magnesium using the Trident, but again that's a spendy unit at $599 if you can even find one or the reagents in stock anywhere right now, and it requires the Apex 2016 or Apex-EL base unit which will cost more than your estimated $100 if buying used. The older Apex Classic can commonly be found 2nd hand at pretty reasonable prices, but it won't work with the Trident.

I don't have any experience with Seneye, so I can't provide any input there. But I thought I'd at least provide what I can about the Apex for you.

Good luck!

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef

Apologies for being late, but thank you. I decided the basic apex is the best for my needs at the moment (main need is pH monitoring, being able to do it constantly and save it to the could is useful) so I decided to take the old apex ($120) + pH probe ($75)+ an old router I have sitting around ($0) vice the alternatives:

1. go with the Seneye ($200+monthly cartridges+connection to wifi)

2. go with a milwaukee ph probe ($80 for a basic ph prove or $130 with ORP and CO2 controlling ability. I notice their "double junction pH probe" is $40 versus neptunes "double junction lab grade probe" for $75......) Data can apparently not output to anything on either model, meaning logging will have to be done the old fashioned way (not that's a big deal for my purposes; writing it down in a log book every 8 hours or so is not that difficult...........)

Last edited:

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back