Seagrass Nano: Lasse vs. Walstad??

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to write this up in @Lasse 's article thread, but it's too much of a disgression.

Anyway, after my tank crash, I'm thinking of the next tank. Part of me wants to do two interconnected tanks, a smaller (maybe 20G/75L) seagrass lagoon tank and a larger (maybe 40 breeder/150L) 25-45m/mesophotic reef tank.

But then another part of me wants to be, initially at least, more realistic, and this will be the focus of this thread: a nano seagrass tank (at least 9"/22cm high, since I need a 3-4"/7.5-10cm sandbed).

(Honestly, if the nano is successful, I can transplant it to the seagrass side of the dual tank whenever the dual tank is set up. Probably in the summer - after the current Beer Flu Lockdown is over, we want to redo the floors before getting any decent sized tank)

I did a comparison between @Lasse 's method and the Walstad method (the latter of which I had been thinking about for this potential tank, before Lasse specifically recommended I consider it)

The main difference between the methods seems to be that Walstad recommends going all out at first for the potting soil+ initial quick growing plants to basically set up a biofilter and then let it mature. In comparison, Lasse recommends getting the biofilter from wet live rock initially, and then sustaining it and building it up slowly and gradually with first one fish, then the CUC, then a few soft corals, etc. Of course, the biomass in a Walstad tank is mostly plants, while Lasse's biomass does not have any plants in it save for what one might add into the refugium months down the line.

I'm not sure that there are any marine equivalents to Walstad's inital recommendation of quick growing plants- I suppose the closest marine equivalent would be to use macro algae like various caulerpa and gracilara species first, vice seagrass (real plants) since seagrass generally grows slower.

At the same time, many macroalgae species do not need any sand at all to grow, and it seems the rhyzome does not derive nutrients from the soil (a major different with Walstad's quick growing freshwater plants). According to live-plants.com, ones that prefer the sand include C. prolifera (fast grower), paspaloides (fast), cupressoides (slow grower). I may also try gracilaria and ulva as fast growers, maybe on a piece of rock or somesuch.

The fact that macroalgae don't apparently take nutrient from the soil (unlike seagrass which I intend to add once the tank stabilizes, and once they are commercially available later this year!) raises the whole question of whether to imitate the walstad method for a seagrass tank. I've also looked around; some folks recommend Walstad's method of using potting soil as the base, other folks recommend using the various marine mud varieties. (I will also call my intended future seagrass vendor, floridapets, to see their recommendation).

(a key worry would be that the macroalgae would dissolve initially, which was my previous experience admittedly in a then-new reef tank. This time hopefully there will be more ammonia and the like available, though I might have to dose nitrates carefully at first)

Lasse recommends adding one hardy fish early to add ammonia to the tank, while dosing nitrifying bacteria, as well as (if needed) Prime or similar things to reduce ammonia. Half a week later he recommends a CUC. Walstad recommends adding fish only once the nitrogen cycle has stablized - i.e. Nitrates are 0, and it shows the whole soil -> fast plants system has stabilized after two months or so. Only then does the Walstad method recommend fish, though it allows for a CUC earlier for microalgae as needed.

Anyway, for my plan, I'd add a Koumansetta rainfordi, a few snails and shrimps for a CUC, then Halimeda incrassata and a soft coral, then my seagrasses, and maybe later a Stonogobiops nematodes+shrimp or a Opistognathus aurifrons (I love the latter fish very much).

Anyway, people's thoughts and experience would be welcome.

I am now particularly interested if people recommend a skimmer, and significant amounts of live rock or other media for nitrification/denitrification or not, and if so at what time I should employ them. It would seem that oxygenation is not a problem for a planted tank, and a skimmer might thereby cause problems.

I'm also considering an oxydator, per @Lasse 's thread, but again am unsure if it's not counterproductive to the whole planted marine tank objective.

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some thoughts

Nutrients

The mud/soil concept (Walstad method) is mainly to give PO4 out to the roots of seagrass and a "leak out" to the water column (for the macro algae) I´m not sure if it will "leak" enough of PO4 in the beginning if you only want to use macro algae in this case. Just keep the eyes on the PO4 level in the beginning when bacterial mineralization of organic P into PO4 (orthophosphate) is low. f it is low - just ad some PO4. The N contributor when bacterial conversion of organic N into inorganic NH4/NH3 (and the following nitrification process) - is low is the fish

To fish or not :p

Freshwater

I think that the thoughts behind the Walstad method according fish introduction is (IMO) mainly based on the high toxicity of nitrite in fresh water compared to the very low mortality in salt water. You have limited opportunities to add sodium chloride (in order to take down the mortality) since freshwater plants are very chloride sensitive. NH3 (ammoniac) is no problem in a Walstad freshwater project due to the low pH.

Saltwater

According to nitrite - no problem to introduce a fish in the first days
According to NH3 (ammoniac) and the firsts week - most be handled with (as we says in Sweden) silk gloves. If the feed rate and that you start with macroalgae (rather much) the same day (and that you have PO4 in the system)- the algae will take care of the produced NH4/NH3. This means that (IMO) NH3/NH4 production in an early stage is of no concern according to fish mortality.

What fish?

I understand your fascination for Koumansetta rainfordi, Totally! Is an outstanding fish and a very good microalgae eater. But (it is always a but) IME it is very, very difficult to have that fish (and other Koumansetta) to survive in a small aquaria. I have I've tried a few times but never succeeded longer than 1 - 2 months. Last time I took three that had survive in a 10 000 l coral system for more than a year - they stay alive in my aquaria for two months. I suspect that the low surviving rate is due to its demand for microalgae - so maybe it could survive in a seagrass tank (and make a huge difference in the fight with microalgae) As first fish - IMO - not.

What fish to recommend - there is a lot of small algae eating blennies around. Maybe other can chime in with how easy the fish from the genus Emblemaria is - personally I would love to have these fishes in my aquaria. I have had a couple in an old aquaria but after that not been able to get any of them here in Sweden. I have one Ecsenius bicolor, added early and still living in my system. However - it is maybe growing to large for a nano system. If you are going with blennies and want more than 1 - I think it is a good idea to introduce them at the same time

The question of oxygen concentrations

This is more tricky than people normally thinks - especially in heavy planted (or "coraled") tanks. Oxygen can be both to much and to low. Two much (especially in the microlayers around photosynthetic organism) can means to much of oxygen radicals in the tissue and hence a breakdown of these tissues. Too low - normal metabolism with the help of oxygen cannot occur in the cells - the organism die because lack of oxygen. In tanks - heavy populated with photosynthetic organisms - both things can happens - an do happens every day - risk of to much oxygen during peak light hours and risk of to low oxygen levels just before photosynthesis start in the morning. This due to how photosynthetic organism works. Every organism over the bacteria level (nearly all - and at least the ones most of us work with) is depended of oxygen for the cell metabolism. This metabolism is mostly active 7/24 - lower with lower activity (sleep as an example) - and therefore a steady consumption of oxygen. This is for all oxygen depended organisms - including those that is photosynthetic. However - with the photosynthetic organisms is there one thing that differ from us others. They produce oxygen during photosynthesis and a lot of oxygen. In a glass box - it could be problem with to high oversaturation in the water or more precis in the microenvironment around the organisms. The surplus oxygen is only leaving the organism through diffusion and if the concentration difference between inside and outside is too close - there will be an upbuild of oxygen in the tissues - including oxygen radicals. A high circulation of water around the photosynthetic organisms and an aeration in order to aerate out oxygen (read skimmer) could be necessary. Maybe not a skimmer is necessary but - IMO - a good circulation and surface movement could be helpful. Lower light intensity is also a way to go in these cases.

Light off - photosynthesis (hence oxygen production) stop. But - the oxygen consumption continue - although normally at a lower rate - but still it is there. This mean that in a dense planted (or "coraled") tank - oxygen can be more or less depleted during early morning hours. This is known problem among freshwater aquarists that have a planted aquarium -"Dutch style" and among freshwater shrimp aquarists. (coming back to that later on). I have been out for it in a very heavy stocked soft coral tank. The problem is not only lack of oxygen because if that happens - many normal bacteria switch from using oxygen in the metabolism into using NO3. And when NO3 is depleted (can happen fast at low levels) other bacteria start to produce hydrogen sulphide. To be exact - it could already happens in a sandbed (or deep into the rocks) but the normal oxygen levels oxidize this deadly gas instantly - but if the oxygen is gone ........

Oxygen depletion during the "dark" times can be counteracted by active aeration (skimmers) or good surface and water movement. And by oxidators.

The oxydator

This is rather tricky to answer because during photosynthesis - it will raise the oxygen pressure in the DT but during no photosynthesis - it will establish a base level of oxygen. The oxydators was introduced in the 80ties in Europe - and gain a lot of popularity at that time, Especially among the folk that was interested of African Cichlid tanks. They was mostly without plants - or FO in the reef language . As time goes by - it was more or less the old timers that use oxydators (both in fresh and saltwater) However - suddenly - freshwater shrimps tanks, planted nano tanks and other nano tanks get popular. Among the freshwater shrimp holders an old/new equipment spread faster than (you know) - it was very small oxydators. Oxydators are today the basic equipment in small planted tanks with or without freshwater shrimps. Tanks there a fast surface agitation and/or aeration is negative some times (CO2 in the water can be depleted of aeration and tho high surface aggition) In a saltwater tank - depleting of CO2 may be of minor importance - because of the high pH - free CO2 in the water column is not the basic pathway for inorganic carbon to the photosynthesis process. The major pathway is through HCO3/CO3 that will be converted into CO2 either in the microenvironment around the photosynthetic organism or just inside their first cell layers. This the reason why I think that KH is of interest in a macroalgae or seagrass tanks - not for calcification - but for the photosynthesis carbon dioxide supply. This is valid - IMO - even for heavy populated soft and hard corals tank with a high photosynthesis rate.

I suspect that this above not is any news for you and it could be seen as an insult from me when I write this in your thread - but that's not my intention at all - hopefully there could be angels you do not have thought about and maybe some others is interested in what both of us (and others write) And I´m an old folk college teacher ;)

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Lasse! A lot of good information to think about here. I probably will be modifying my plan, after I think more on some of your points........

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse

Thank you again. I've been thinking about this a bit more. Random comments:

Some thoughts

Nutrients

The mud/soil concept (Walstad method) is mainly to give PO4 out to the roots of seagrass and a "leak out" to the water column (for the macro algae) I´m not sure if it will "leak" enough of PO4 in the beginning if you only want to use macro algae in this case. Just keep the eyes on the PO4 level in the beginning when bacterial mineralization of organic P into PO4 (orthophosphate) is low. f it is low - just ad some PO4. The N contributor when bacterial conversion of organic N into inorganic NH4/NH3 (and the following nitrification process) - is low is the fish

OK. I may use potting soil or one of the various miracle muds that are commercially available.

What fish?

I understand your fascination for Koumansetta rainfordi, Totally! Is an outstanding fish and a very

Honestly, I've had bad luck with Koumansetta rainfordi. One just disappeared, another did well for a month or so but then disappeared soon after I added a Gramma loreto to my 110L tank, and a third died in 24h in my acclimation box.

I also really like Ecsenius bicolor but I've also had bad luck with two of them. However, this time I blame the Gramma loreto........

Anyway, I may try Ecsenius bicolor again as the first fish. It might be my only fish if I go small (50L or so)

The question of oxygen concentrations

This is more tricky than people normally thinks - especially in heavy planted (or "coraled") tanks. Oxygen can be both to much and to low. Two much (especially in the microlayers around photosynthetic organism) can means to much of oxygen radicals in the tissue and hence a breakdown of these tissues. Too low - normal metabolism with the help of oxygen cannot occur in the cells - the organism die because lack of oxygen. In tanks - heavy populated with photosynthetic organisms - both things can happens - an do happens every day - risk of to much oxygen during peak light hours and risk of to low oxygen levels just before photosynthesis start in the morning. This due to how photosynthetic organism works. Every organism over the bacteria level (nearly all - and at least the ones most of us work with) is depended of oxygen for the cell metabolism. This metabolism is mostly active 7/24 - lower with lower activity (sleep as an example) - and therefore a steady consumption of oxygen. This is for all oxygen depended organisms - including those that is photosynthetic. However - with the photosynthetic organisms is there one thing that differ from us others. They produce oxygen during photosynthesis and a lot of oxygen. In a glass box - it could be problem with to high oversaturation in the water or more precis in the microenvironment around the organisms. The surplus oxygen is only leaving the organism through diffusion and if the concentration difference between inside and outside is too close - there will be an upbuild of oxygen in the tissues - including oxygen radicals. A high circulation of water around the photosynthetic organisms and an aeration in order to aerate out oxygen (read skimmer) could be necessary. Maybe not a skimmer is necessary but - IMO - a good circulation and surface movement could be helpful. Lower light intensity is also a way to go in these cases.

Light off - photosynthesis (hence oxygen production) stop. But - the oxygen consumption continue - although normally at a lower rate - but still it is there. This mean that in a dense planted (or "coraled") tank - oxygen can be more or less depleted during early morning hours. This is known problem among freshwater aquarists that have a planted aquarium -"Dutch style" and among freshwater shrimp aquarists. (coming back to that later on). I have been out for it in a very heavy stocked soft coral tank. The problem is not only lack of oxygen because if that happens - many normal bacteria switch from using oxygen in the metabolism into using NO3. And when NO3 is depleted (can happen fast at low levels) other bacteria start to produce hydrogen sulphide. To be exact - it could already happens in a sandbed (or deep into the rocks) but the normal oxygen levels oxidize this deadly gas instantly - but if the oxygen is gone ........

Oxygen depletion during the "dark" times can be counteracted by active aeration (skimmers) or good surface and water movement. And by oxidators.

OK. I think this is why Walstad recommends the siesta?

I suspect that this above not is any news for you and it could be seen as an insult from me when I write this in your thread

Not at all! This is very informative.

Anyway, thinking about this more I am leaning towards the following:

50L or 75L aquarium (a 13" cube or 20 gallon here in the US)

No sumps or overflows. (thermometer, etc.

Tunze 9004 DC skimmer (I have one sitting around) + the small oxydator

Small oxydator

Maybe about 4kg/9lbs or live rock

I will either get another Jebao sw8 (I have one sw8 lying around) or use my two MP40s that I have sitting around. (on their lower settings!!!!!)

half the tank will have about 8+cm deep fine sandbed - for the seagrass - while the rest will have about 5cm. (will discuss with my seagrass vendor) Some kind of "miracle mud" will be at the bottom per Walstad. (I may just outright buy the sand from my seagrass vendor.

Seagrasses include halophilia and Syringodium filiforme

Initial plants will be various forms of in-sand caulerpa species.

I may initially, or later, add a halophilia with an in-sand rhyzome. (all of these plants are easily collected from Florda in the US)

I probably will try Escenius bicolor as the first fish. Later I may add another blenny (Salarias fasciatus or Acanthemblemaria aspera), and then later my much-loved Opistognathus aurifrons. Maybe a Acreichthys sp of filefish.

If I get the 90L tank, I may switch the blennies for a group of Sphaeramia nematoptera or Apogon leptacanthus , though I have to double check how well they actually shoal long term

7000k LED light, for planted tanks.

Antillogorgia anceps - I've had good luck with this gorgonian octocoral.

Maybe down the line I will add a few appropriate hard corals (porites cylindrica, montipora digitata, acropora yongei, favia or favites)

And with all that my 75L is becoming very full........

Glad Påsk!

(I hope I got that right. I always admire that so many North Europeans - from Belgium to Finland - speak excellent English - far better than Americans or Brits in foreign languages. My foreign language is Chinese (with a small amount of Spanish, Greek, Latin and Japanese), and though I can read it well my speaking is not so good and I don't think I could post on a Chinese reef board. Though maybe I should, so I can build my language skill :D)

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad Påsk is exactly the right words in Swedish - Happy Easter

When I was at school - we start to read english in 5th grade (back in 1961) - so if you get nearly 60 years to learn - you will write even in chinese and maybe understand a joke in swedish. I have a friend born in South America - he speaks swedish in an excellent way - but he always say - i do not understand your jokes - and will never, ever do that. And you haven´t heard me speak english - that´s a catastrophe because my original dialect in swedish is incompatible with the english way of pronouncing words :p

Sincerely Lasse

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back