Apex Ph/Calcium Reactor Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Brandon Maddison

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now had my apex and calcium reactor on my 300 gallon tank for 3 weeks. I was wondering how long in between on and off your reactor goes... ex. Mine goes about 10 mins between turning off and coming back on... now of course I have more of a open flow coming out instead of a slower drip rate which would influence the timing but I was wondering what everyone else looks like.....pictures please

My alk level has been at 8.2 for three weeks (Hanna Checker)

ABEB6943-E0D6-4AA5-9048-5CCFFB56D749.jpeg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Brandon,
Run a constant stream too. Sicce .5 for the feed pump.

If you have a good regulator your can dial it in so that your solenoid stays on just about all the time.
Quick screen shot taken earlier this week.

Capture.PNG

Makes for less ware and tare with the Apex and solenoid switches.

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello Brandon,
Run a constant stream too. Sicce .5 for the feed pump.

If you have a good regulator your can dial it in so that your solenoid stays on just about all the time.
Quick screen shot taken earlier this week.

Capture.PNG

Makes for less ware and tare with the Apex and solenoid switches.

Amazing! Do you just dial it down on the regulator? Didn’t have to mess with the bubble count part?

I got a dual stage regulator so I think I should be able to somehow get it at this level

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's been at the same alkalinity for 3 weeks, I'd just leave it the way it is. Three weeks at that value is pretty rock solid, so as great job. Using any other strategy for tuning will likely require re-tuning the reactor. If that's not really an issue, then proceed.

For me, I have the a good dosing pump and a good regulator on a tiny tank, so I can't pin down the effluent rate. Instead, I have the pH oscillating between 7.00 and 7.25 at 20 mL/min, and that equates to around 5 pH "cycles" per day. This is using CaribSea ARM REACTOR MEDIA - EXTRA COARSE. I hold an alkalinity of 7 dKH with Tropic Marin Pro salt.

Two of my three systems are currently rigged to do an auto water change, using the same salt, which has a 7 dKH. AWC will affect the amount of dosing or tuning you'll need to do.

Either method will work great, though if you have a tiny tank (16 gals in my case), pinning down effluent rate won't work as well.

My other systems: one uses Balling and the other uses calcium reactor.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing! Do you just dial it down on the regulator? Didn’t have to mess with the bubble count part?

I got a dual stage regulator so I think I should be able to somehow get it at this level

Once you find the melting point just slow down (fine tune) the bubble count and leave the output stream alone.

But... I have an Alkatronic that holds the dkh at right about 9, so I dialed up the bubble count and lowered the on and off melting points, just a tad.

You can see at 8am the Alkatronic shut the regulator off. It should kick back on at 10am.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Once you find the melting point just slow down (fine tune) the bubble count and leave the output stream alone.

But... I have an Alkatronic that holds the dkh at right about 9, so I dialed up the bubble count and lowered the on and off melting points, just a tad.

You can see at 8am the Alkatronic shut the regulator off. It should kick back on at 10am.

Capture.PNG

Cool thanks!!!

Tried to do it earlier today but I think I stopped all bubbles completely. I swear there was a little coming out at a time. Also, I heard you can dial back how much pressure you are releasing to the calcium reactor. Does that work too?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks!!!

Tried to do it earlier today but I think I stopped all bubbles completely. I swear there was a little coming out at a time. Also, I heard you can dial back how much pressure you are releasing to the calcium reactor. Does that work too?

Every regulator is different.

I have the "dual stage" GLA SS Pro at 25 psi with the Sicce .5 for the feed pump
https://greenleafaquariums.com/products/gla-pro-1-ss-co2-regulator-two-stage.html.

Been rolling like the below video for over 18 months.

One tip on keeping your cal in balance with alk:
Keep your main display's salinity at .35ppt.

:)

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 50 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 5.0%
Back