Apex PH Probe Life

docscorals

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 13, 2025
Messages
701
Reaction score
631
Location
Madison
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do Apex PH probes last? I just recalibrated mine a couple weeks ago and tested them against my Hanna pH Checker. They were reading fine. This morning I checked my tank numbers in Fusion (and Hydros for those tanks) and the pH in my two apex tanks dropped a lot more than normal overnight (7.85 to 7.57 in my nano, and 8.03 to 7.93 in my 75 gallon tank). I use Kalk overnight I with my large tank so if there is a drop it’s usually less than 0.05.

So I checked the pH on my tanks with my Hanna checked and the nano was 7.9 and my 75 was 8.0. The large tank was within a margin of error so I let it go.

But the nano, I took a pH pen and it read 7.8 and then I took a sample to one of my tanks with a hydros and put the probe in and it read 7.83. So I took out some 7.0 calibration fluid and it read 9.5? So all I can assume is that the probe must be going bad on that Apex, which is only about a year old.
 
Some vendors tell you to replace them every two years….same ones that tell you to replace your heaters every year. I have one in the tank that’s been going since 2011 and it still works fine. I also have one in a calcium reactor that I’ve had to replace a couple times (maybe two-three years). Not sure if it’s the environment or the pressure in the reactor, but liquid gets past the two junctions eventually and the probe won’t calibrate or hold calibration. So who knows… In any case, if you can’t calibrate it, or if it starts drifting rather quickly after calibration (and the probe is clean) then it’s time for a new one.
 
I have the same problem with my Apex pH probe. Replacing it soon, as cleaning and recalibration does no good. I have no way to tell, but I doubt my ORP probe is accurate either - and they’re expensive.

The only Apex probe I trust is the temp probe.
 
I have the same problem with my Apex pH probe. Replacing it soon, as cleaning and recalibration does no good. I have no way to tell, but I doubt my ORP probe is accurate either - and they’re expensive.

The only Apex probe I trust is the temp probe.
I wonder if the Milwaukee probes would work on the Apex. I use those on my hydros controllers and I haven’t seen any drift yet.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new