Apex power bar question

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the 8 come with a cable? Just now thought about that. The power bar will be here tomorrow and if I need a cable can I just use a usb cable?? Some say not to others say as long as it is not too long you are ok.

thejoshdavis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99% sure it doesn't. You'll need an apex cable. I believe the pins are swapped compared to a normal USB cable.

Genesis Corals

Genesis 1:21
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the 8 come with a cable? Just now thought about that. The power bar will be here tomorrow and if I need a cable can I just use a usb cable?? Some say not to others say as long as it is not too long you are ok.

Kind of creepy as I had the same question, but mine arrives on Thursday. From everything I read the new EB8 comes with the cable.

pelagic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep to the USB cable, it's thin and breaks easy. if you are using the dimmer for your light, you have to buy a dimmer cable, each cable controls two dimmer.
I'm sure you can DIY the dimmer cable easily if you want to go that route.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex uses standard USB cables. You just have to make sure they're passive and do not have any electronics in them. As a general rule, most standard usb cables 15' and under are passive. Anything over that, unless made custom will usually have active electronics to boost the signal. The problem is that the Apex doesn't use USB standard voltages and you will fry these cables and possibly your equipment if you try to use them. If I remember correctly, standard USB uses 5v and Apex uses 12v.

My personal favorite supplier of just about all cables I buy is Monoprice.com. If you're just buying one or two, Amazon or eBay can be a better deal, though.

Brandon

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back