Apex Power Failure Question

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to get a notification from Fusion when power goes out vs. when it comes back on? I always get them after the power comes back on, I figured once Fusion stopped receiving information from the unit it would send some sort of note...

Any help would be appreciated.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but first you will need to place all data communication devices on UPS...
That means your cable modem, DSL modem, apex controller all have to be on UPS...
The Apex will also have to have the option DC power supply installed and connected to a UPS.

once that's setup you can program the email notification to send out if the EB8 power = off

If power to EB_4 off then on
If power to EB4_6 off then on

Last edited:

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One additional note...
some ISP modems come with a built in UPS, when you bundle your phone line in...
that's so in the event of a power outage, you still have landline communications, a liability if not.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the name if the EB8 or eb4?
Say you have 2 eb8s, what would be the correct spelling for the name of those eb8s? I think the name is dependent on the physical port they are connected to. However, there must be a rule or formula right?

RussM ;-)?

you need to put your Cable modem, apex controller on UPS and connect the DC powersupply to the same UPS.
once that's setup you can program the email notification to send out if the EB8 power = off

If power to EB_4 off then on
If power to EB4_6 off then on

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Last edited:

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The post previous to this one contains programming I developed quite some time ago in response to a specific request from one individual. It is not needed or even recommended for use if you use APEX Fusion to send notifications. Although I used it for a while on one of my own Apexes after I wrote it, I don't even use this code anymore!

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The post previous to this one contains programming I developed quite some time ago in response to a specific request from one individual. It is not needed or even recommended for use if you use APEX Fusion to send notifications. Although I used it for a while on one of my own Apexes after I wrote it, I don't even use this code anymore!

I currently use Fusion...maybe I'm not using it correctly.

What do I need to do in order to have it send me a notification that power has failed? Is there a delay?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fusion will only send you notification when the power comes back on if you don't have UPS's in the mix.

I'm going to test this tonight to confirm.

Last edited:

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use Fusion...maybe I'm not using it correctly.

What do I need to do in order to have it send me a notification that power has failed? Is there a delay?
Fusion does not send a message by default if power is lost - it only sends one after power is restored, unless you program the email outlet to do so. As mentioned earlier in this thread, you need a UPS - it can be powering just the Apex via a 12v AC adapter, or it can be supplying one or more EnergyBars. The right answer depends on how your system is setup.

If you have a 12 adapter plugged into a UPS, then you can use: If Power EnergyBar_name OFF 000 Then ON. In this scenario, the Power Monitor feature in the Apex must be disabled.

If you have an EB plugged into a UPS, then the 12v adapter should be plugged into normal (not battery-backed) power, and the Power Monitor feature must be enabled, then you'd use this in your email program: If Power Apex OFF 001 Then ON

If you have multiple EnergyBars, then there is more flexibility, but also more complexity.

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, sorry about that, I misread your post. I will look into getting a UPS for the system. I currently have to EB8's on my system.

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My post last night was regarding the programming 143 had posted which detailed a way of getting Power Restored messages when using the Apex to send email vs Fusion notifications.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fusion by default does not send notification if the Apex is down. That is confirmed :)
Unless there is a setting on fusion that I am missing of course. I really hope I miss something :)

Fusion will only send you notification when the power comes back on if you don't have UPS's in the mix.

I'm going to test this tonight to confirm.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't really need much in term of what UPS to buy. Get the cheapest one like $50-$60 UPS and find a 12V 500mA AC adapter for the Apex base....
The CyberPower 350VA Battery Back Up ($30-$40) should be good enough.
http://www.frys.com/product/8039934

Oh ok, sorry about that, I misread your post. I will look into getting a UPS for the system. I currently have to EB8's on my system.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after reading RussM post about setting the email outlet to send email when the apex is down using fusion, I am looking into the email outlet. I have the notification for temperature control only
Set OFF
If Tmpx7 > 82.0 Then ON
If Tmpx7 < 74.0 Then ON

so I added a line to send me notification and it took it. Now mine is like this
Set OFF
If Tmpx7 > 82.0 Then ON
If Tmpx7 < 74.0 Then ON
If Power Apex OFF 001 Then ON

Note: my temp probe is named Tmpx7 because I moved it to the PM2. The salinity probe needs the temp probe :); I don't need 2 temp probes right? I know redundancy is nice but I already have another temp monitor just in case the Apex goes bad on me.

What happens to the code? It was useful. I need the code that turn off the email after sending 1 email. I don't need Fusion to keep sending me over and over hahahaha

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens to the code? It was useful. I need the code that turn off the email after sending 1 email. I don't need Fusion to keep sending me over and over hahahaha
The technique used in that code is no longer needed if using APEX Fusion. If Fusion is sending you multiple emails for the same condition, then you probably have the Re-Email delay setting configured with a too short of a duration - I recommend no less than 45-60 minutes.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, any example? I'd like to see the email within 1 minutes, but only need 1 email. Could you help modify this line?

If Power Apex OFF 001 Then ON

btw, 001 is 1 second or 1 minute there?

Thank you so much Russ

The technique used in that code is no longer needed if using APEX Fusion. If Fusion is sending you multiple emails for the same condition, then you probably have the Re-Email delay setting configured with a too short of a duration - I recommend no less than 45-60 minutes.

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ### is minutes. There's no need to modify that program line.

Another possibility of why you get repeated alerts is if you have Power Monitor enabled but do not have a 12v adapter connected to the Apex base.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a bit confused about the part "If Power Apex OFF" now. How can fusion know the power to the apex is lost or the Ethernet cable to the apex is off?

I was going to test my newly added code by unplugging the ether net cable.....

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have two virtual probe values that can be used during a power interruption, “Apex” and “EB8_x” (x = the AquaBus position).

from the Comprehensive_Reference_Manual.pdf:

"The first probe, Apex is used to monitor power to the base unit. In addition to detecting a power failure to the base, this probe will also turn ‘ON’ during a reboot so keep that in mind. The duration value is used to delay the probe value from being reset for a certain amount of time after the power returns, similar to how the feed timer delay works."

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ethernet cable to the apex is off?
it won't but you should be able to see that the status on the fusion site shows disconnected.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back