apex shut down in the middle of last night

BigTimeIssues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a3 with eb8, ph, temp, LLS, Cor 20, and Sky.

woke up to apex not connected.rebooted it, connected back and temp was 74 degrees. heaters came on, pump was running, so i went to work assuming the controller was working but not connected. Got home and rebooted again, it connected briefly and tank temp was 84. Water felt hot.

ive tried rebooting, Using lan Cable, Replaced bus cable(looks like usb, but i know i cant use a regular usb cable), wifi doesnt show it on my wifi at all. Ive unplugged everything except for the apex module and eb8. not outlets, sensors, or modules are hooked up and same result, no connectivity and no control. everything that is on when it loses connection stays on.the light on the module is glowing orange solid. no blinking, no red or purple.

is there anything else i can try? its 13 months old and im pretty sure they wont warranty anything so i geuss i will be buying a new controller.. my cor 20 controller failed 6 months ago and it caused the apex to not work. this isnt the case this time.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Always have a backup plan especially for temp. I have had a $50 Eheim Jager set 1 degree above what my Apex is set at programmed for Fallback ON. Once you figure this out, revise your code...

Electronics ALWAYS fail. Buy it cheap buy it twice. My heater is 14 years old and so our my MP40s but that doesn't stop me from having redundancy.

As far as support goes I'll tell you this... in order to speak to someone you need to call 30min before they close. They will answer right before they close. Twice I've had my Hydra 52s serviced for free both of them 6 years after the warranty expired.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a3 with eb8, ph, temp, LLS, Cor 20, and Sky.

woke up to apex not connected.rebooted it, connected back and temp was 74 degrees. heaters came on, pump was running, so i went to work assuming the controller was working but not connected. Got home and rebooted again, it connected briefly and tank temp was 84. Water felt hot.

ive tried rebooting, Using lan Cable, Replaced bus cable(looks like usb, but i know i cant use a regular usb cable), wifi doesnt show it on my wifi at all. Ive unplugged everything except for the apex module and eb8. not outlets, sensors, or modules are hooked up and same result, no connectivity and no control. everything that is on when it loses connection stays on.the light on the module is glowing orange solid. no blinking, no red or purple.

is there anything else i can try? its 13 months old and im pretty sure they wont warranty anything so i geuss i will be buying a new controller.. my cor 20 controller failed 6 months ago and it caused the apex to not work. this isnt the case this time.
Been experiencing the same thing, same kind of unit, about the same age. Still waiting on tech support to get back to me...

OP
OP
BigTimeIssues

BigTimeIssues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been experiencing the same thing, same kind of unit, about the same age. Still waiting on tech support to get back to me...

What are you doing in the mean time. Mine isn't controlling anything. My light is now not working. I was trying to get it hooked up in stand alone mode.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Disconnect everything from it... probes, 120v components etc etc and try again. Does it have wifi? I run a 13 year old classic so am not familiar with the new series. I am however familiar with electronics and have seen bad components attached to a device crash a system. If there is nothing hooked up to it and you can't connect (try a different patch cable as well) you are probably screwed. I just grabbed another Apex classic for $150. You are looking at being down a minimum of 6 weeks even if you can send it in for repair. I'd grab a backup in the meantime.

OP
OP
BigTimeIssues

BigTimeIssues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disconnect everything from it... probes, 120v components etc etc and try again. Does it have wifi? I run a 13 year old classic so am not familiar with the new series. I am however familiar with electronics and have seen bad components attached to a device crash a system. If there is nothing hooked up to it and you can't connect (try a different patch cable as well) you are probably screwed. I just grabbed another Apex classic for $150. You are looking at being down a minimum of 6 weeks even if you can send it in for repair. I'd grab a backup in the meantime.

Everything is unplugged. I'm an auto tech and understand that any one node can bring the whole system down. I'm not gonna be down for 6 weeks at all. I'll have a hydros installed Saturday. Maybe I can get this one repaired. After trying to get my neptune sky to work in stand alone mode, it no longer works. I'll send it in for repairs too I geuss.. I will never buy all the same brand again. I have neptune lights, controller, return and fuge light. Now I don't have anything.

I still have my old stuff from before I had an apex. I am hooking it up now.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is unplugged. I'm an auto tech and understand that any one node can bring the whole system down. I'm not gonna be down for 6 weeks at all. I'll have a hydros installed Saturday. Maybe I can get this one repaired. After trying to get my neptune sky to work in stand alone mode, it no longer works. I'll send it in for repairs too I geuss.. I will never buy all the same brand again. I have neptune lights, controller, return and fuge light. Now I don't have anything.

I still have my old stuff from before I had an apex. I am hooking it up now.
It might have got stuck in the boot loader I had that problem one time with a used one I bought.. quick email to Neptune they asked for a $200 deposit and sent me a refurbished unit that worked perfectly! I shipped my defective unit back to them and they reimbursed the $200.. they paid shipping and even sent all the Calibration reagents for free with the new one! Amazing customer service has been my experience/

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
dang bro that really sucks. Normally their stuff is top tier. Do you have a Surge protector with brown out protection? This is very uncommon to have multiple pieces of equipment go out at the same without some sort of external intervention.

OP
OP
BigTimeIssues

BigTimeIssues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang bro that really sucks. Normally their stuff is top tier. Do you have a Surge protector with brown out protection? This is very uncommon to have multiple pieces of equipment go out at the same without some sort of external intervention.
If the light and the controller messed up at the same time I may think it was external intervention. But the light functioned and would update when it would connect for those few seconds.. now the light won't come on. So probly got damaged from me rebooting, resetting and turning it on and off so much. Or plugging and unplugging.

Plan is to go back simpler. Gonna use different systems for different things. When the apex went down it took down all my stuff. Cuz it was all apex stuff. If I had ecotech lights then I'd still have lights. If I had inkbird Temp control I'd still have Temp control.. and coral. They probly not gonna make it.

OP
OP
BigTimeIssues

BigTimeIssues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune won't respond to my emails anymore.

Light still don't work. Apex came back online but went back off.

I wasn't rude to them, I didn't complain.. I just want then to fix it.

OP
OP
BigTimeIssues

BigTimeIssues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot harder to ignore a bunch of phone calls all day long vs an email that can easily be put in the trash...

Not trying to be rude, but they absolutely ignore the calls too. The phone doesn't even ring for them. It just goes into the automated system. There is no ringer to ignore, just a que on a screen.

I have called. just sat on hold.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROFL at all you guys with controllers. It will bite you in the.......eventually. It's not a matter of if, it's just a matter of when. Just waaaiiittt for it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back