ApexEL pH probe issues

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally updated to the latest AOS today, around 10:30 am. Starting around 1:40 PM, my pH probe has been changing dramatically and constantly, bouncing above and below the alarm set point of 7.8. I've gotten at least 40 notifications, sometimes 10 seconds apart, from about 1:40 until about 4:40. At that point, I decided to recalibrate the probe. Did that, but still getting constant notifications (up to a total of 62 for the day so far). I remember last time I calibrated the probe, it took several days for it to settle down, but it was at least within range so I wasn't getting constant notifications.

My salifert test currently reads about 8.1 but the ApexEL says 7.75. When I calibrated, I did manual calibration and it seemed to be reading high (settled at 724 and 1031). I suppose I thought, if anything, it would read high at that point.

Suggestions? I purchased the unit about 7 months ago, used. The previous owner said it was only about 6 months old. So, if that was correct, the probe is only about 13 or so months old. It wouldn't need to be replaced already, would it (it was stored properly when I got it and the seller seemed to really take good care of their equipment)? Other ideas? Just now, the pH bounced down to 7.5 and then back up again to 7.82.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, something is definitely going wonky with my unit. My inkbird controller is plugged into it and is set to be on if the temp probe is between 75 and 83 degrees. Current temp reading is 80.9 and it has my inkbird turned off. When I try to reupload the configuration, it seems like it worked, but then the app shows 78-79 is the on zone. If I exit out and go back in, it shows 75-83, But the unit seems to be using the 78-79 and not letting me fix that.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried to reboot it? I feel like I fix majority of my issues by rebooting entire unit.
I have not yet. Actually hit the reset button for 1 second? Or just unplug and plug back in? I want to make sure I don't destroy my programming LOL

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not yet. Actually hit the reset button for 1 second? Or just unplug and plug back in? I want to make sure I don't destroy my programming LOL
Some will probably tell me otherwise but I just unplug it and leave it unplugged for just a couple seconds although it makes my tank go wild I find that that's the easiest way

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, something is definitely going wonky with my unit. My inkbird controller is plugged into it and is set to be on if the temp probe is between 75 and 83 degrees. Current temp reading is 80.9 and it has my inkbird turned off. When I try to reupload the configuration, it seems like it worked, but then the app shows 78-79 is the on zone. If I exit out and go back in, it shows 75-83, But the unit seems to be using the 78-79 and not letting me fix that.
What you're describing with the temperature probe probably isn't a problem with the Apex, but a side effect of the programming and the current situation.

For example, if this is your Apex code:

Fallback OFF
If Temp < 75 Then ON
If Temp > 83 Then OFF

And let's say the temperature is currently 80.9. The output has been on since the last time the temperature dropped below 75, but hasn't turned off yet because it's still below 83.

Now, when you installed the AOS update, that rebooted the Apex. During the reboot, the heater output is off, and then after booting up the Apex will wait for the temperature to drop to below 75 before it will ever turn on again. You can force it to resume the previous state by turning it ON and then back to AUTO. But it's just during that in-between temperature that the Apex won't change the output on or off, and the reboot is what forced it off.

I hope that make sense.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you're describing with the temperature probe probably isn't a problem with the Apex, but a side effect of the programming and the current situation.

For example, if this is your Apex code:

Fallback OFF
If Temp < 75 Then ON
If Temp > 83 Then OFF

And let's say the temperature is currently 80.9. The output has been on since the last time the temperature dropped below 75, but hasn't turned off yet because it's still below 83.

Now, when you installed the AOS update, that rebooted the Apex. During the reboot, the heater output is off, and then after booting up the Apex will wait for the temperature to drop to below 75 before it will ever turn on again. You can force it to resume the previous state by turning it ON and then back to AUTO. But it's just during that in-between temperature that the Apex won't change the output on or off, and the reboot is what forced it off.

I hope that make sense.
I have manually set to on and the minute I put it back on auto it turns off again. I’ll try rebooting it later and see if that helps.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have manually set to on and the minute I put it back on auto it turns off again. I’ll try rebooting it later and see if that helps.
Please post your programming for the heater output.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post your programming for the heater output.
Here you go. Nothing complex.

DEE7AC65-B57E-45A2-A3B1-9E5E5050EE33.png

current tank stats:
E5DFEBD9-412B-477A-8997-7A40A158B7F1.png

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went in before I went running and turned off the temp adjust for ph and it hasn’t alerted since. I did validate my temp probe is reading correctly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back