API Calcium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Has anyone else had crazy readings from API Calcium in their bots? I have tried regular and High Res and they both return about the same. Yes, I know API are not the most accurate and can swing high and low, but that is not the issue in this case.

I use Tropic Marin for Nitrate/Nitrite, API Calcium, Phosphate, Mag and Alk are Red Sea Pro. I have manually tested everything my Lab tests, and have gone to two different LFS and had my water tested with same sample. Everything was with different kits. Everything is within margin of error with the exception of the API Cal in the bot. First store used an API Aquaspin and surprisingly came back a little on low side for Mag and little lower in the cal, but the Cal still came back closer to "true". The bot does stay consistent with it's readings, but always low.

First LFS - Aquaspin
Mag 926
Cal 350

Second LFS
Mag 1080-1100
Cal 380

Manual Test
API Cal - 400 (used a total of 3 different reagent kits, 1 from bot and 2 refills)
Mag 1080

Bot
Mag 1060
Cal 280 (Used the original batch in bot, swapped out 60ml bottles with 20ml bottles and reagents from different refill box)
(also tried normal and high res test and all came back about the same)

Also, it seems like the bot is reading "final color" too early sometimes as seen in the picture. It says 290, which is purple, blue isn't achieved until 30 or maybe 31. Granted that doesn't help much and would still be low, 300-310. Just curious if others have seen this in theirs.

API High Res.JPG

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello Frank, I hope you're doing well!

We're sorry to hear about the issue you've been experiencing. After attempting to replicate the problem, we think that it might be because the syringe isn't carrying the right amount of "chemicals" in the reagent. Would you please try mixing the bottles again and giving it another go? This will help to ensure that all the chemicals are properly mixed inside the bottle and carried by the syringe. After that, the device's stirring will be sufficient for other tests.

Alternatively, with regard to the endpoint, we've passed on the information to our team to fix the problem with the early point reading. Please let us know if this resolves the issue during your next test.

OP
OP
Inamo

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello Frank, I hope you're doing well!

We're sorry to hear about the issue you've been experiencing. After attempting to replicate the problem, we think that it might be because the syringe isn't carrying the right amount of "chemicals" in the reagent. Would you please try mixing the bottles again and giving it another go? This will help to ensure that all the chemicals are properly mixed inside the bottle and carried by the syringe. After that, the device's stirring will be sufficient for other tests.

Alternatively, with regard to the endpoint, we've passed on the information to our team to fix the problem with the early point reading. Please let us know if this resolves the issue during your next test.
Maybe the part about I've used two different bottles with 2 different reagents kits was missed, but this has been done. Also, the syringes carries enough for every other test to be correct.

You say it was unable to be duplicated, but @HadyOsaily said they had reports of issues and adjust the test after consulting with API. So, which is it? My results are the same for high res and regular checks to FYI.

Screenshot_20231128-093431_Facebook (1).jpg

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Maybe the part about I've used two different bottles with 2 different reagents kits was missed, but this has been done. Also, the syringes carries enough for every other test to be correct.

You say it was unable to be duplicated, but @HadyOsaily said they had reports of issues and adjust the test after consulting with API. So, which is it? My results are the same for high res and regular checks to FYI.
Hello Frank, Apologies for this.

After attempting to replicate the problem, we think that it might be because the syringe isn't carrying the right amount of "chemicals" in the reagent

What I meant earlier: we replicated the issue to investigate the root cause and my colleague identified a possible cause as I mentioned. I have forwarded this issue to one of our agents and they will be reaching out to you shortly.

Wishing you a great weekend!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back