API Test Accuracy

Dive Cowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people always slamming the API test kits, but my LFS uses some API machine that runs the tests, then calculates and relays the results online. We ran one to compare with my new Trident and some readings match relatively closely but the mag results are way off. My LFS is super knowledgeable so I tend to assume they're right, but has anyone experienced the type of test they run being way off? Thanks!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used both API and Salifert test kits for many years. Yes, many here slam API. IMHO they are just as good as Salifert if you are careful and do the tests the same way every time. Salifert gives readings that are smaller than API, but that doesn't really make them more accurate.

driciladr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I got a bad batch it API kept saying 0 nitrates but it was impossible so I got a Hanna , nitrates 9.9.

I also got salifert for in between checks.

OP
OP
D

Dive Cowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used both API and Salifert test kits for many years. Yes, many here slam API. IMHO they are just as good as Salifert if you are careful and do the tests the same way every time. Salifert gives readings that are smaller than API, but that doesn't really make them more accurate.
I'm not talking about the home test kits. I'm talking about the API system my LFS uses. Water is put into a little wheel looking cartridge. That's put in a machine. 5 minutes later, you get results sent online.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not talking about the home test kits. I'm talking about the API system my LFS uses. Water is put into a little wheel looking cartridge. That's put in a machine. 5 minutes later, you get results sent online.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nobody trusts the machine either. there are misread threads on spin touch here on the site for sure.

if you're concerned about ammonia and nitrite don't be, you don't have to test for those ever in a reef tank if you use updated cycling science that can predict the levels without testing. this includes every type of startup cycle available in reefing: we can do all of them testless now using a certain number of days wait time instead as the measure.

if you must test nitrate, calcium, alk, stay far away from anything related to spin touch or api

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dive Cowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is the analyzer I'm talking about. I'm asking if anyone has any experience with inaccuracies.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
20+ years of reefing. API is plenty accurate. I’ve tried every test kit known and API comes in within the margin of error on every test kit.

In my experience people think they are bad because they are cheap. This hobby seems to push the most expensive thing being the best.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take to search out polls on api accuracy, or ammonia misreads by api? 2 seconds.

in fact it’s possible to make a new poll post, do one. Let’s see how api fares in 2024 vs 2006. The bet: no change. The least trusted kit brand in reefing for a reason.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is the analyzer I'm talking about. I'm asking if anyone has any experience with inaccuracies.
Not about the spin, exactly, but;

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a spin-disk, I would not trust that you have enough liquid volume to get good accuracy on Mag measurement. I'd side with the Trident, to state the obvious.
It sounds like the other tests came out well....
We ran one to compare with my new Trident and some readings match relatively closely but the mag results are way off.
so despite the small volume and lower accuracy, the spin disks probably aren't terrible if you understand the accuracy is less than a larger volume carefully done chem test.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard api test errors can be summed up in 2 words typically Human error, as with most hobby testing. Spin disk works for the most part. We had one at the lfs and it was very close to standard api and hannah on mostly all tests. Mag is actually hard to test accurately in most hobby test situations. I have heard what @taricha is saying before from the owner of the lfs ive shopped at and worked for years, hes been in business since the '90s. I dont know all his qualifications but hes been a hobbyist since the early '70s and holds a couple related degrees ( saying hes smart and well learned and trusted).

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

a misread. that tank's nitrite isn't 4.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back