Help with nitrite levels jumping

Beannabutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my water tested today at my LFS for my reef tank and saw that my nitrite levels really shot up. A little about my tank, I have a 30 gallon biocube that I inherited from a friend that lives close to me. They have had the tank for 2 years and the current fish for 8 months. I brought all of the original live rock, water and livestock and transported it in buckets and then set it back up at my house. Their levels were crazy but I managed to get everything in a good spot, except for the nitrites. My fish are all healthy and the majority of my corals are as well, except for my dragon soul favia that has been sliming and losing very small bits of flesh on the edges. My LFS said this is because of the nitrites… I also want to add that I do 5gallon water changes weekly, and this test was taken before my water change. I also think it’s important to add that I have little to no algae growth. This is what it is currently stocked with:
4 Mexican turbo snails, a pair of mocha clowns, a Diamond goby, a purple dottyback, and a young foxface rabbitfish (He is going to a new home soon).

Here’s everything between the dates of my water tests that I think could have caused this spike;
*I added copepods and chaeto algae to the tank. My foxface destroyed the chaeto algae and it broke apart and disappeared into the substrate.
*I feed my fish pellets daily. The Diamond goby gets fed brine shrimp every other day, and my corals get fed phytoplankton and reef roids twice a week.
*I added new dry rock to the tank, but kept all the established live rock.
* I added a pouch of fluval clear max phosphate remover in my sump.

Did I ‘break’ my cycle or harm my beneficial bacteria population? What should I do next to help the nitrites? Thanks for any advice and tips :)

440ABFEB-4578-4271-B506-1FC2D5850A6E.jpeg ABD9E37B-057D-4817-A957-EC84A0C77521.jpeg C5FEF7EA-07B6-4F82-852F-DCED706396A5.jpeg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see 2 different tests. Which one was the latest, and how far apart were the test taken apart?

OP
OP
B

Beannabutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see 2 different tests. Which one was the latest, and how far apart were the test taken apart?
Sorry, each one has the date and time the tests were taken on the screen; the one with the high nitrites is from today, and the other with 0.2 nitrites is from the end of December. Less than a 2 month period between the two.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change 50% of the water using new seawater. You don’t need to feed reefroids since your nutrients are more than adequate.

Nitrites are fine. They won’t harm anything at those levels. The decaying cheato seems to be the culprit.

OP
OP
B

Beannabutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change 50% of the water using new seawater. You don’t need to feed reefroids since your nutrients are more than adequate.

Nitrites are fine. They won’t harm anything at those levels. The decaying cheato seems to be the culprit.
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it, this is what I suspect as well :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
added to the spintouch misread threads.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back