Trident accuracy

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night, I calibrated my Neptune trident. I have let it run for 24 hours now.
I have been testing my parameters with Hannah checkers and Salefert test kit.
I tested my calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium today with Hannah checkers and salifert to see how close they would be with my Neptune Trident.

Hanna checkers-
Alkalinity- 8.7
Cal - 424

Salifert -
Mag - 1410

Neptune trident -
Alk - 8.38
Cal - 462
Mag - 1363

When you compare these results, there’s a little bit of a difference in between the Neptune trident and the other test kits. Which one do you think is more accurate? I want to start using the trident more often and just test with my other test once a month.
Do I need to run another calibration?

I might take a water sample to my LFS to compare.

Thank you

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night, I calibrated my Neptune trident. I have let it run for 24 hours now.
I have been testing my parameters with Hannah checkers and Salefert test kit.
I tested my calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium today with Hannah checkers and salifert to see how close they would be with my Neptune Trident.

Hanna checkers-
Alkalinity- 8.7
Cal - 424

Salifert -
Mag - 1410

Neptune trident -
Alk - 8.38
Cal - 462
Mag - 1363

When you compare these results, there’s a little bit of a difference in between the Neptune trident and the other test kits. Which one do you think is more accurate? I want to start using the trident more often and just test with my other test once a month.
Do I need to run another calibration?

Thank you
Looks about within the margin of error for both testers. The trident is more accurate when calibrated properly.

Yodaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to follow this thread, as I recently setup a trident and after calibration I’m showing slightly different values. I did read through the calibration process thoroughly and saw that they want less then a 6” difference in sample line height from where it is placed in the system, to alleviate any discrepancies in head pressure on the pump drawing in the sample. I made sure my calibration fluid lined up exactly where the sample line draws from, and just flipped the sample line clip on the rim of my sump so I did not route the tube anywhere different from where it lands in my sump

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the trident is precise, then it only matters that you follow its trend. Do at least two more tests to have a trend in the data as opposed to a single data point. If it’s coming out similar on each test, then id rely on the trident and your new normal target value would be an alkalinity of 8.3-8.4 on the trident and assume the Hanna would be reading a bit higher. The same goes for the other parameters.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks about within the margin of error for both testers. The trident is more accurate when calibrated properly.
I thought I calibrated it properly.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the trident is precise, then it only matters that you follow its trend. Do at least two more tests to have a trend in the data as opposed to a single data point. If it’s coming out similar on each test, then id rely on the trident and your new normal target value would be an alkalinity of 8.3-8.4 on the trident and assume the Hanna would be reading a bit higher. The same goes for the other parameters.
Ok I will let the trident run for another day and see how today’s results compare to tomorrows.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good. The difference is normal.
Yeah, I mean all tests read a little different and you can never truly know what the exact parameters are in your tank. You might just wanna stick with one test kit and hope that it’s correct.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I mean all tests read a little different and you can never truly know what the exact parameters are in your tank. You might just wanna stick with one test kit and hope that it’s correct.
Yeah, keeping stability over precision is more important, imo. I have a video on this topic, and also compare the trident to the hanna.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, keeping stability over precision is more important, imo. I have a video on this topic, and also compare the trident to the hanna.
Ok I might go check out your video on YouTube. I’ve seen some of your other videos and they’re always super helpful. Thanks Matt!

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is precision. If you can hit 8.3 repeatedly every day at the same time, that’s pretty precise, and stable.
I totally agree. I am working on bringing it back up to 9 DKH. It dropped while I was on a trip. Bring it back up nice and slow.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I guess what I’m getting at is the accuracy is less important and agree with you that stability/precision is better. If your true alkalinity is 6.5 but your test reads 8.5, that’s probably not super accurate but if it regularly gives you stable or precise measurements you’re better off than a test throwing out random numbers that are widely variable.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is precision. If you can hit 8.3 repeatedly every day at the same time, that’s pretty precise, and stable.
Absolutely. But the accuracy of the tester has to be taken into account also. For example, Hanna alkalinity checker has an accuracy of +/- .3 dkh. So that 8.3 dkh could be 8.0 or 8.6 dkh. Still not a terrible swing though.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. But the accuracy of the tester has to be taken into account also. For example, Hanna alkalinity checker has an accuracy of +/- .3 dkh. So that 8.3 dkh could be 8.0 or 8.6 dkh. Still not a terrible swing though.
What is it for the trident?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1814.png

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_2256.jpeg
    IMG_2256.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 27

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Thanks

One more question. Do you think this is a good spot for the water sample line?
Yeah, as long as it won’t get anything other than water drawn in it, it should be okay. It’s ironic because my trident kept saying “No water sample” all day today. I was like, “Oh great, here we go.” Then I get home to find that my ato line fell out of the sump and the sump level was below the trident sample line. It doesn’t test air very well. :grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, as long as it won’t get anything other than water drawn in it, it should be okay. It’s ironic because my trident kept saying “No water sample” all day today. I was like, “Oh great, here we go.” Then I get home to find that my ato line fell out of the sump and the sump level was below the trident sample line. It doesn’t test air very well. :grinning-squinting-face:
Let’s hope it’s not just getting drain water. It is open to the whole sump, but the reef mat is kind of blocking a little bit. There was not much flow in that area though.

I also just put on the Triton sample line filter. Do I need to do anything once I put it on?

I hope the ATO wasn’t pumping water all over the place lol!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back