IMG_7618.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that ammonia .1

thats not your actual reading, that test is wrong but better than 8 ppm which api has shown in some reefs

can you post a pic of your tank we can discuss why that test isn’t useful if it can’t even read the most predictable parameter correctly

get individual Hanna digital meters to test calcium and alk, dont use that spin touch especially if they’re charging for it, seven dollars isn’t worth it at all

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are usually referring to the cheap api liquid kits because well they aren't that accurate. They aren't useless, and can generally tell you if you have a serious water quality jssue, you won't be able to dial in alk and ca with them.

I've attached the saltwater chart for the aquaspin

Notice the accuracy numbers. + or - 15% for calcium for example means that if your calcium is actually at 400 then the test could read anywhere between 360 and 400.
AquaspinSaltwaterTesting_1200x1200.jpeg
I've had my water tested with one just to verify my own test results and yea its not super accurate.

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The liquid API tests are said to be very inaccurate. The aquaspin however, I don't know. I know someone here on r2r who sells high end torches uses that product and has lots of tanks.

Here are some threads on it:

OP
OP
Stephen8169301

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
People are usually referring to the cheap api liquid kits because well they aren't that accurate. They aren't useless, and can generally tell you if you have a serious water quality jssue, you won't be able to dial in alk and ca with them.

I've attached the saltwater chart for the aquaspin

Notice the accuracy numbers. + or - 15% for calcium for example means that if your calcium is actually at 400 then the test could read anywhere between 360 and 400.
AquaspinSaltwaterTesting_1200x1200.jpeg
I've had my water tested with one just to verify my own test results and yea its not super accurate.
Yeah good to know me and my testing of waters suck

OP
OP
Stephen8169301

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
The liquid API tests are said to be very inaccurate. The aquaspin however, I don't know. I know someone here on r2r who sells high end torches uses that product and has lots of tanks.

Here are some threads on it:

Thank you I need to get better at testing

OP
OP
Stephen8169301

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
See that ammonia .1

thats not your actual reading, that test is wrong but better than 8 ppm which api has shown in some reefs

can you post a pic of your tank we can discuss why that test isn’t useful if it can’t even read the most predictable parameter correctly

get individual Hanna digital meters to test calcium and alk, dont use that spin touch especially if they’re charging for it, seven dollars isn’t worth it at all
IMG_7619.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. It’s not possible that the system has any more ammonia than .00x thousandths ppm. even if that spin touch was nh4 it’s still a hundred times off course, so I can’t trust any reading from it

never pay them for it again is my recommend

reasons we know your ammonia level: degree of bio load and surface area + stock rates above, combined with cycle studies that use digital test kits like seneye: no post cycle reef tank without a full fish kill is running tenths ppm ammonia either as nh4 or nh3.

I bet that misreading test kit sells lots of extra bottle bac for them

OP
OP
Stephen8169301

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Excellent. It’s not possible that the system has any more ammonia than .00x thousandths ppm. even if that spin touch was nh4 it’s still a hundred times off course, so I can’t trust any reading from it

never pay them for it again is my recommend

reasons we know your ammonia level: degree of bio load and surface area + stock rates above, combined with cycle studies that use digital test kits like seneye: no post cycle reef tank without a full fish kill is running tenths ppm ammonia either as nh4 or nh3.

I bet that misreading test kit sells lots of extra bottle bac for them
Wow man thank you I’m done wasting my money with them lol! I will really look into my own testing and get better at doing so my testing of tanks is just horrible and feel I never get accurate tests
I use Red Sea and salifert

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
collecting spin touch misreads

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back