Nitrates Showing 0

  • Thread starter Thread starter 412Reef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

412Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2026
Messages
45
Reaction score
11
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

So I’ve been working on my cycle for about 4 weeks. I have live rock, dosed with ammonia and a whole large bottle of Fritz Turbo Start. My aquarium is 90 gallons. The ammonia and nitrites went down to zero, redosed ammonia and after 24 hours they are both back down to zero. However my nitrates are zero (API yes I know I have Hanna’s coming tomorrow)

Is this normal? It’s a fishless cycle. I know this maybe a noobish question! Just curious if I’m safe to start adding my 2 clowns and if they will help nitrates go up, or if I need to dose, etc.

Thank you!
 
This seems like testing error to me 🤪

Did you use real, wet live rock from a local fish shop, or something like CaribbSea "life rock"?

Real live rock, plus Fritz TurboStart, and four weeks in means your tank is cycled. Something is amiss with your testing, in my opinion 🙂

Good luck!
 
This seems like testing error to me 🤪

Did you use real, wet live rock from a local fish shop, or something like CaribbSea "life rock"?

Real live rock, plus Fritz TurboStart, and four weeks in means your tank is cycled. Something is amiss with your testing, in my opinion 🙂

Good luck!
Yep real LFS live rock right into the tank. Hoping the test is the issue. When the Hanna gets here today I’ll give it a test with that.
 
If its wet real live rock they already have nitrifying bacteria on them, the tank is insta-cycled. No need to cycled live rocks, only need to cycle if you start with dry rocks.

Its safe to add the fish, you could have added them the same day you added the rocks 😄
 
Hi All!

So I’ve been working on my cycle for about 4 weeks. I have live rock, dosed with ammonia and a whole large bottle of Fritz Turbo Start. My aquarium is 90 gallons. The ammonia and nitrites went down to zero, redosed ammonia and after 24 hours they are both back down to zero. However my nitrates are zero (API yes I know I have Hanna’s coming tomorrow)

Is this normal? It’s a fishless cycle. I know this maybe a noobish question! Just curious if I’m safe to start adding my 2 clowns and if they will help nitrates go up, or if I need to dose, etc.

Thank you!
I never had luck with the API nitrate kit. I would just retest with the Hanna, but more than likely you are cycled and ready to go!
 
I agree that the tank is cycled and you are good to go.

nitrate will only show if 1), the test is working and 2) nothing in the tank has consumed them.

either 1 or 2 or both may be true in this case. Regardless, time to move on.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new