The API AquaSpin is it worth it.

Trizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, on the border of purchasing this unit. just trying to get a heads up on is the unit worth the money. taking into consideration time is money and the time it takes to do all the test with your Hanna checkers. and the accuracy of the unit test compared to the Hanna of Salifert test kits.
https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p/94820/60230/lamotte-waterlink-spin-touch-ff-photometer

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What parameters does it test? As i remember, it's actually meant for aquaculture so the phosphate readings only work with very high levels aquariums wouldn't have...so that one isn't much use. What are the others and how accurate since they weren't intended for aquariums? Also spectrometers need to be calibrated as often as possible and those disks aren't cheap. I'd say no.

If you're willing to spend that kind of money, Hanna makes something similar that is intended for aquariums if I'm not mistaken. I'd compare it with that if i were you...

OP
OP
Trizz

Trizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think there was an issue with availability of the cartridges for these aside from them being $150+ for 50 tests. There are some threads about them around if you search.
ya that was a while ago. there in stock readily available.

OP
OP
Trizz

Trizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What parameters does it test? As i remember, it's actually meant for aquaculture so the phosphate readings only work with very high levels aquariums wouldn't have...so that one isn't much use. What are the others and how accurate since they weren't intended for aquariums? Also spectrometers need to be calibrated as often as possible and those disks aren't cheap. I'd say no.

If you're willing to spend that kind of money, Hanna makes something similar that is intended for aquariums if I'm not mistaken. I'd compare it with that if i were you...

Test Parameter/Range: Alkalinity, 0 to 300 ppm; Ammonia NH3, 0 to 4.0 ppm; Calcium, 200 to 800 ppm; Magnesium, 500 to 2,200 ppm; Nitrate NO3, 0 to 60 ppm; Nitrite NO2, 0 to 2.0 ppm; pH, 6.5 to 10.0 pH; Phosphate PO4, 0 to 2.0 ppm.​

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want to use this test - there is no reason not to - I - am one of those people that do not believe its required to test 1/day even 1/week - If you're one of those people - go for it - Of course I do not know the accuracy, etc.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have considered this option or other automated solutions since time is money however for a little more money I could just send ICP out since I’m not one to test weekly once I know the change expected on parameters since I don’t change my feeding schedule or lighting. Really comes down to how often one plans on testing. If weekly then this is plausible assuming the disks are always available. Technology changes. Companies don’t always keep supporting old products. There lies the rub or risk. $1,200 paper weight not what I seek.

BTW, is this more accurate than the API reagent kits? I only plan to use Hanna for phosphates. Have a pH prove. Don’t test ammonia or nitrite. Nitrates just need to be under 20 ppm. Dkh between 7-11 and why I shoot for 9. Gives me a buffer on testing or user error. Seems lots of variables to weight. Doubt it’s a black and white yes or no.

Last edited:

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to use this test - there is no reason not to - I - am one of those people that do not believe its required to test 1/day even 1/week - If you're one of those people - go for it - Of course I do not know the accuracy, etc.
I test when something looks odd. :face-with-rolling-eyes:

OP
OP
Trizz

Trizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
usually, I test. about once a week for my sps frag tank an about to install a cade s2100 full sps setup as a main display / farm so i hate doing Hanna test takes forever. this is so quick 60 sec done all 8 test makes thing so much easier.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember...the phosphate only will give you readings to 1 decimal point. Most people want phosphate between under 0.1 but that's the lowest (except 0 it can read.) If you sim for .03-.08 the readings aren't going to be very useful for phosphate.

I'd read this regarding it's accuracy and then decide if it worth the price...maybe it is, maybe not. It's up to you.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, meant to post this screenshot just to show it's accuracy from the above thread.
Screenshot_2023-06-04-03-24-33-112_com.android.chrome.jpg

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you. that's the resolution I was looking for I needed that data.
Cool...just making sure that the standard error (which all equipment has ) is ok with you. It does surprise me that you don't mind doing phosphate tests separately but if that's good with you, that's all that matters. I really would at least look at the similar machine Hanna makes first though specifically for marine aquarium hobbyists. Here are a couple screenshots. Btw, the price is in baht...not USD. 25,000 baht is less than 1,000 USD by a good bit.
Screenshot_2023-06-04-03-18-43-865_com.shopee.th.jpg Screenshot_2023-06-04-03-18-03-982_com.shopee.th.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, on the border of purchasing this unit. just trying to get a heads up on is the unit worth the money. taking into consideration time is money and the time it takes to do all the test with your Hanna checkers. and the accuracy of the unit test compared to the Hanna of Salifert test kits.
https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p/94820/60230/lamotte-waterlink-spin-touch-ff-photometer
Tests are $3 each ($170/50 tests). I feel this is on the high but if you hate measuring and mixing, the methodology might be what you need. Also, I could not find information about precision and accuracy for the individual tests. This is a deal breaker for me spending >$1000 for a photometer and $3 per test.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tests are $3 each ($170/50 tests). I feel this is on the high but if you hate measuring and mixing, the methodology might be what you need. Also, I could not find information about precision and accuracy for the individual tests. This is a deal breaker for me spending >$1000 for a photometer and $3 per test.
Same here. It's not meant for aquariums so accuracy is likely to be lower, it isn't cheaper in the long run with a very big initial investment...it seems just to be a time saver essentially but I have 20 minutes to run a few tests.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. It's not meant for aquariums so accuracy is likely to be lower, it isn't cheaper in the long run with a very big initial investment...it seems just to be a time saver essentially but I have 20 minutes to run a few tests.
I am a tiny bit curious to put to the methodology to the test but won’t because of the price tag. Maybe I could get a GoFundMe going for the research or ask @Rick Mathew and @taricha to split the cost and we could take turns playing with it :)

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a tiny bit curious to put to the methodology to the test but won’t because of the price tag. Maybe I could get a GoFundMe going for the research or ask @Rick Mathew and @taricha to split the cost and we could take turns playing with it :)
I linked a post above with one man's personal experience testing a new kit he bought although I'm sure you would do more while assessing it. A lot of people also forget the importance of calibrating machines such as this as often as possible which really is important for accuracy. Even professional spectrophotometers I've personally worked with need to be frequently recalibrated. Have you looked at the spectrophotometer Hanna sells?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think most SPS keepers would disagree but i suppose it is enough for some. What range do you aim for?
I don't:). I try to keep things stable. The question about this test IMHO is not the value - it's the accuracy and precision for each test.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back