The API AquaSpin is it worth it.

archercorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s made by lamonte. They licensed it to api, I believe only store can buy the api version. That being said, definitely worth it for the lazy tester. Once a week test and just have to test phosphate separately. If you can afford it, why not. Would mostly be ideal for a service guy. Save lots of time.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't:). I try to keep things stable. The question about this test IMHO is not the value - it's the accuracy and precision for each test.
Ok. The accuracy and precision seems to be questionable. In the screenshot from the other post it gave values of the same water that varied by as much as .5 Dkh for alk, 30 ppm for calcium, 7 for nitrates, 0 for phosphates although other test showed they weren't 0, and over 80 ppm different for mag. It's just my personal opinion, but I'd just want more accuracy than that for the price. You said stability is important. How can you believe your tank is stable is there is so much variance?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So, on the border of purchasing this unit. just trying to get a heads up on is the unit worth the money. taking into consideration time is money and the time it takes to do all the test with your Hanna checkers. and the accuracy of the unit test compared to the Hanna of Salifert test kits.
https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p/94820/60230/lamotte-waterlink-spin-touch-ff-photometer
There have been some who have purchased this and not happy and some who like it. Yes, there is a shortage of cartridges from LaMotte who has gone from the market. I like the review made by Reef Breeders below. Also member @AydenLincoln owns one

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been some who have purchased this and not happy and some who like it. Yes, there is a shortage of cartridges from LaMotte who has gone from the market. I like the review made by Reef Breeders below. Also member @AydenLincoln owns one

I recall that post...she didn't have any hard corals at the time i don't believe and didn't seem to have any plans to get any. Essentially she paid for a VERY expensive machine with questionable precision to measure just nitrate and phosphate (which doesn't give very precise results for this parameter)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I recall that post...she didn't have any hard corals at the time i don't believe and didn't seem to have any plans to get any. Essentially she paid for a VERY expensive machine with questionable precision to measure just nitrate and phosphate (which doesn't give very precise results for this parameter)
same post and agree and I believe one multi test was even off

OP
OP
Trizz

Trizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cool...just making sure that the standard error (which all equipment has ) is ok with you. It does surprise me that you don't mind doing phosphate tests separately but if that's good with you, that's all that matters. I really would at least look at the similar machine Hanna makes first though specifically for marine aquarium hobbyists. Here are a couple screenshots. Btw, the price is in baht...not USD. 25,000 baht is less than 1,000 USD by a good bit.
Screenshot_2023-06-04-03-18-43-865_com.shopee.th.jpg Screenshot_2023-06-04-03-18-03-982_com.shopee.th.jpg
I have all the dam Hanna tester and I was just looking into this one, I like that it's all in one. hate all those cuvettes. and all the separate testers, I think this is the one I'm going to get.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I knew someone just recently bought one. I was trying to spell her name Aiden, and nothing was coming up.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all the dam Hanna tester and I was just looking into this one, I like that it's all in one. hate all those cuvettes. and all the separate testers, I think this is the one I'm going to get.
Yeah, totally understand. I was just trying to make you aware of cheaper options that accomplish the same goal and may be more precise. $400 and no additional costs like the disks you're going to have to pay for. But i completely understand that you have your preference.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I knew someone just recently bought one. I was trying to spell her name Aiden, and nothing was coming up.
Posted above- Ayden

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just bought this and what a blessing and time saver !! Does nine different tests
Hanna Marine Master Multiparameter Photometer Starter Set (HI 97105C)
1685830042336.png

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s made by lamonte. They licensed it to api, I believe only store can buy the api version. That being said, definitely worth it for the lazy tester. Once a week test and just have to test phosphate separately. If you can afford it, why not. Would mostly be ideal for a service guy. Save lots of time.
Yes that’s correct. There’s two versions both made by LaMotte. The only difference is the branding. I really like it! It’s quick and easy. But because it’s quick and easy it does have some drawbacks like only measuring phosphate to 0.1 but it’s great for cycling and fast results. If you have the money and want one I say get it especially if you are considering this or a Trident. It saves me so much time and frustration. I have tried so many other brands of test kits and they just frustrated me or I ran into issues.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s correct. There’s two versions both made by LaMotte. The only difference is the branding. I really like it! It’s quick and easy. But because it’s quick and easy it does have some drawbacks like only measuring phosphate to 0.1 but it’s great for cycling and fast results. If you have the money and want one I say get it especially if you are considering this or a Trident. It saves me so much time and frustration.
I mean no disrespect but since you only need the nitrate readings, does it really save time?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a tiny bit curious to put to the methodology to the test but won’t because of the price tag. Maybe I could get a GoFundMe going for the research or ask @Rick Mathew and @taricha to split the cost and we could take turns playing with it :)
I looked into it at one point. It's tiny sample volumes and has ball bearings in each chamber and spins it in a way to make the bearing do the mixing. Then reads the tiny test colors with a multi-led colorimeter.
I'd like to test a bunch of things at once, but with the way the samples are, I'd have to give up a lot of precision to do it.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mean no disrespect but since you only need the nitrate readings, does it really save time?
I use all of them actually. And yes it does because it gives you result in 2 minutes. It’s not for everyone but it works for me and I love it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Did you really? That's the exact kit I recommend him earlier...
This was a post apr 22nd:

Finally all my tests under one roof, instead of 6 different Hanna kits

1682216605373.png

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that the Hanna Multi Tester only does one test at a time so will take longer to do same batch of tests over the individual eggs,,, which allow you to kind of overlap all of your tests (somewhat).

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use all of them actually. And yes it does because it gives you result in 2 minutes. It’s not for everyone but it works for me and I love it.
Why do you need any of the other parameters aside from nitrate if you only keep soft corals? Glad you love it btw!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that the Hanna Multi Tester only does one test at a time so will take longer to do same tests over the individual eggs,,, which allow you to kind of overlap all of your tests (somewhat).
That's very true. If it were me I'd value the precision and enormous amount of money which would be saved over that however. It's not only that the one kit is $500 more but the disks have to be bought for every test $3 each in packs of 50.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back