API test kit

Thomasflynn15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO API liquid+tube test kits are completely useless and inaccurate in saltwater. Whenever you buy the "saltwater" variety I am 100% certain it is the exact same chemicals as the freshwater version. Nitrates and phosphate never changes color from the original color of the reagent solution when first mixed, etc. I am not a marine ecologist but I know for a fact there is at least some nitrate and phosphate present in my tank on a regular basis due to feeding. Whenever there is a loss I test for ammonia and it doesn't change color. It only changed colors when I first cycled and intentionally dosed ammonia. I've used this kit for 7+ years in my planted tank and I always get rational results. Thoughts?

CocoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right, API are not reliable for saltwater testing. I havent had freshwater so I cant speak for that but Ive had much more reliable results using salifert and hanna checkers. I havent tried any of the red sea kits though and ive heard those also work well

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO API liquid+tube test kits are completely useless and inaccurate in saltwater. Whenever you buy the "saltwater" variety I am 100% certain it is the exact same chemicals as the freshwater version. Nitrates and phosphate never changes color from the original color of the reagent solution when first mixed, etc. I am not a marine ecologist but I know for a fact there is at least some nitrate and phosphate present in my tank on a regular basis due to feeding. Whenever there is a loss I test for ammonia and it doesn't change color. It only changed colors when I first cycled and intentionally dosed ammonia. I've used this kit for 7+ years in my planted tank and I always get rational results. Thoughts?
When the API reagent amounts are decreased, and the color intensity measured with a photometer or spectrophotometer, the results can be as good or better than Hanna’s test kits. With the unmodified reagent amounts, API test kits are fairly crude In saltwater. Not surprised by your observations of the unmodified test kit behavior.

new salt addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

new salt addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post goes along with my question. I have a new FOWLR tank that I am cycling and have a freshwater API master text kit. Was wondering if it can be used on my salt water tank to test ammonia and nitrite/ nitrate. I had gotten mixed answers though I had been told the pH high test will not work. Any advice would be appreciated

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post goes along with my question. I have a new FOWLR tank that I am cycling and have a freshwater API master text kit. Was wondering if it can be used on my salt water tank to test ammonia and nitrite/ nitrate. I had gotten mixed answers though I had been told the pH high test will not work. Any advice would be appreciated
The API ammonia test kit is used for both fresh and saltwater, though the test in saltwater is cloudy because of various precipitates that form at the high pH of the test. The colors are a bit different.

Nitrite test works for both.

The nitrate test can work in both but the chloride in salt water interfers with the test, giving a lower number because the color does not develop as well. The company might just supply a different color chart calibrated for this effect rather than change the reagents.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back