Applying saltwater knowledge to freshwater

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a long time away from freshwater, I am currently setting up a 100 gallon tank for shelldwellers from Lake Tanganyika.

Here's the tank, fully aquascaped (it's just sand).

20211017_184803.jpg

The question is: do I even need a filter? Before having a reef tank, the question wouldn't cross my mind.

The fish population is going to be just 4 small fish. Won't the sand provide enough biological filtration?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically, no......the hardscape and sand would be enough. I have a small nano freshwater tank that has nothing but tetras that has no biological filtration other than the hardscape. Are you going to add any frontosas (or any other large cichlids) or sticking to the smaller guys?

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank was conceived to be the opposite of a reef tank, just the 3 neolamprologus ocellatus and a dwarf altolamprologus compressiceps Sumbu to make sure no fry survives. (Why do I have the feeling my plans will fail?)

No rocks, just sand a few shells and 4 fish with interesting behaviors.

I saw them in the same habitat in the Lake and I'm trying to recreate that environment.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will... but it's just a tank with sand a a dozen shells.

10 years ago I had a similar tank:

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about getting one of this for this tank but at 1190 eur... lets don't and say we did.

FB_IMG_1634590692388.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is actually pretty easy to create though for much cheaper....unless that is fake moss? It would look cool as a tank centerpiece. You can do some cool stuff gluing branches together. I did something similar with my piranha tank...although admittedly not as cool as the pic you posted.

Piranha tank.JPG

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about it and I went looking online for pieces of wood that I could put together, but I could never come up with something as pretty as that tree.

They use cladophora, which is an algae, not a plant. It grows very slowly and can adapt to a variety of conditions.

The guy just asked me how much I had available and I told him that I wanted to pay the 1190 eu, but not now :)

After having seen that tree, I would not be willing to settle for something less pretty.

So, just plain sand it is.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 36.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 52 29.2%
Back