APS Auxiliary Power Supplies

  • Thread starter Thread starter Freenow54
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Freenow54

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 5, 2021
Messages
7,577
Reaction score
6,048
Location
Ontario Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have absolutely no experience with this and enough knowledge to make me curious. This would absolutely entail paying an electrician for most. I was wondering if this would be a good idea for those with lots of DC controlled devices . My understanding is that it would prtect the " logic " electronic sections of various equipment > I posted this here for the people who have elaborate set ups , also for people like me who would like to protect basic things. My one set of lights for instance go into lockdown with a power failure even a momentary one. Two others reboot almost immediately . Same for my pump , and now dc controlled power heads that I do not know how they react. The point is I have read they are good for those that do not have any power backup and have to wait for power to return , and brownouts . Protecting the DC electronics from surges and hard starts. They apparently are also used in conjunction with Power Supplies I assume to prevent the spike on switchover ? and any PSU failure if it applies. So are they a good idea , and since I have not done any calculations as to loads or pricing worth the cost? Obviously this spills over into a lot of non Aquarium equipment as well which adds to the value.
 
To add to this I am almost convinced to get a whole house generator. With this in mind would an APS be a good idea to protect the DC electronics while the switching is going on ?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new