Aptaisia, majanos and filefish. Things that make you say Huh!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had aptaisia in my 6' 125. Not bad, but one area of large ones just couldn't be beat. Recently, majanos seemed to start sprouting up everywhere. I decided to add a couple of filefish to help out. In early Feruary, I introduced one matted filefish (LFS only had one). Within a few days, he had completely annihilated the majanos. Huh. Seems like there's no way he could have eaten that many so quickly. Again, Huh. He never even glanced at the aptaisia. Huh. Over the months, the mojanos started to return with a passion. Huh. About a month ago, I added another filefish. It took a little longer, but again the mojanos disappeared. Huh. Again, neither seemed to have any interest in the aptaisia. Huh. Today, as I prepared for my weekly battle with aptaisia, I discovered that I can't find a single one! HUH! Kinda curious what the future will hold.

Not really sure why I put this out there. Other experiences maybe?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had aptaisia in my 6' 125. Not bad, but one area of large ones just couldn't be beat. Recently, majanos seemed to start sprouting up everywhere. I decided to add a couple of filefish to help out. In early Feruary, I introduced one matted filefish (LFS only had one). Within a few days, he had completely annihilated the majanos. Huh. Seems like there's no way he could have eaten that many so quickly. Again, Huh. He never even glanced at the aptaisia. Huh. Over the months, the mojanos started to return with a passion. Huh. About a month ago, I added another filefish. It took a little longer, but again the mojanos disappeared. Huh. Again, neither seemed to have any interest in the aptaisia. Huh. Today, as I prepared for my weekly battle with aptaisia, I discovered that I can't find a single one! HUH! Kinda curious what the future will hold.

Not really sure why I put this out there. Other experiences maybe?
Similar experience with aptasia.
Filefish ignored for weeks, then 6 were gone in a day or 2.
Do you know if filefish bother zoas?

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that they can bother softies and LPS, but to be honest, my tank is so packed I couldn't really tell if they're bothering anything at all or not. I really don't think so.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Going to have to look into filefish lfs usually has them on hand.
Tried CBB. Totally eradicated all aiptasia, majano, fan worms and harassed buvalves and clams lol. Very hard to keep feed tho.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Going to have to look into filefish lfs usually has them on hand.
Tried CBB. Totally eradicated all aiptasia, majano, fan worms and harassed buvalves and clams lol. Very hard to keep feed tho.
Filefish happy with regular grub, which might've been why it took so long to get to the aptasia. I cut back to 1 feeding per day.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filefish happy with regular grub, which might've been why it took so long to get to the aptasia. I cut back to 1 feeding per day.
For sure. How does filefish do with other tank mates? I have porcupine puffer, blenny and couple clownfish in sumps right now.

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. How does filefish do with other tank mates? I have porcupine puffer, blenny and couple clownfish in sumps right now.
My filefish are the smallest residents in the tank. I have some large tangs, melanaurus wrasse, foxfish, etc... They really have no fear. They don't seem to bother anything else and nobody seems to bother them.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, he's in a slave tank with a cleaner shrimp.

Teddynola

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar experience with aptasia.
Filefish ignored for weeks, then 6 were gone in a day or 2.
I've added one in the past few weeks. All I have is a large, boring zoa colony and some blue mushrooms, but it hasn't seemed to be eating any of it. It must be eating something, because it's staying rather thick. I'm watching it randomly picking at the rocks, right now. Most of the aiptasia is rather large, hopefully it will start making a dent soon.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added one in the past few weeks. All I have is a large, boring zoa colony and some blue mushrooms, but it hasn't seemed to be eating any of it. It must be eating something, because it's staying rather thick. I'm watching it randomly picking at the rocks, right now. Most of the aiptasia is rather large, hopefully it will start making a dent soon.
Moved mine to another tank.
Took him 5 days to start.
He also nipped at a darissa clam. The clam closed on his snout for about 30 minutes, trapping the filefish, then released.
He's better now.
There's a thread on here about the same thing.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a filefish in the past, he was very behaved for a month, eating what he was supposed to.... then he discovered my zoas and refused to touch aiptasia. I also heard kleini butterflys were great for it, same problem though within a couple days. I toy with trying something again but I'm hesitant still. No luck with nudis because my wrasse eat them

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a filefish in the past, he was very behaved for a month, eating what he was supposed to.... then he discovered my zoas and refused to touch aiptasia. I also heard kleini butterflys were great for it, same problem though within a couple days. I toy with trying something again but I'm hesitant still. No luck with nudis because my wrasse eat them
Before the filefish, I pulled one aptasia with hemostats then hit the base with h2o2, 5 ml, done.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the filefish, I pulled one aptasia with hemostats then hit the base with h2o2, 5 ml, done.

I have the most ridiculous crevicey live rock, some I could definitely do that with - not all though :(

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back