Aptasia and my file fish

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a file fish to eat aptasia and that didn’t happen (probably because i over feed). What I did see was the file fish bite a nassarius snail twice so hard that it seemed to incapacitate the snail. I thought the file fish killed all the nassys until I took him out of the DT-then all the nassys reappeared. Also, I watched my Banggai Cardinal bully him badly-bumping and nipping at him on many occasions.
I put the file fish in the overflow and for an experiment dropped in an aptasia covered rock. Good news is he ate the aptasia!! Bad news is he ate the zoas too but I’m sure that was due to hunger as I stopped feeding the overflow once I added the aptasia rock so I’m not upset.
Any suggestions? I freakin hate the aptasia and need it to go away. Do I try the file fish back in the DT?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File fish back in dt and cut back on feeding until he gets to the aptasia.
I had the same problem.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filefish seem to be hit or miss, but berghia nudibranchs will wipe out the aiptasia. They'll take a while to do it, but in my experience they got every last one.

OP
OP
H

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll put him back in the DT, thanks.

Any thoughts on the bully and snail biting situation?

re: nudis, i am in Canada and can’t find them otherwise I would try them.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've tried pretty much all the aiptasia fixes and what I have found with each fish or invertebrate fix, is it usually takes time.
I've put file fish and butterfly fish in and watched and waited and weeks or months go by with next to nothing accomplished.
Same with peppermint shrimp.
Then some time down the road I'll usually look one day and then I see it. No aiptasia. Seems like all of a sudden they are all gone.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back