Aptasia problem

Brassmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have found some aptasia around a few of my new coral frags and two are right at the base where the coral meets the frag plug. I have glued a couple in and they haven't been back but a couple are pretty slick and keep popping up. They are super small at the moment and was wondering if there is something I can do before it gets out of hand.
Also they are so close to the corals that I don't want to hurt them.
Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Inject with either lemon juice or better yet- Kalkwasser powder mix with tank water into a paste, the consistency of toothpaste and then inject into the very center core of aptasia and it will melt away.

OP
OP
Brassmonkey

Brassmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inject with either lemon juice or better yet- Kalkwasser powder mix with tank water into a paste, the consistency of toothpaste and then inject into the very center core of aptasia and it will melt away.
Ok I will try with the kalk. They are very small. Do I need to get it inside them or just around?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok I will try with the kalk. They are very small. Do I need to get it inside them or just around?
Go for the center and smother the top

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a little bit of everything to get rid of the aptasia in my tank. I finally got a copper band butterfly fish. Since then I haven’t seen a aptasia in over two years now.

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp worked for me. I had at least a dozen aptasia. Threw in a pack of 10 peps from WWC and they seem to be handling the issue.

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do what you want, but I would'nt use lemon juice. A guy on here told me to do that, and it killed any coral that was near the aptasia when sprayed. Would not recommend.

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp worked for me. I had at least a dozen aptasia. Threw in a pack of 10 peps from WWC and they seem to be handling the issue.
+1 on peppermint shrimp. Got 25 for my 150g that was covered in aptasia, and after a week it was completely gone!

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O yeah I have a 120 gallon tank. 10 would be too many for a smaller glass box

davescj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple starting up....had kalk kill a couple NOT near corals, then added 2 peppermint shrimp....never have seen them again. But several months later, the peppermint shrimp are still in tank (I know their cave, so I look in on them).

davescj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple starting up....had kalk kill a couple NOT near corals, then added 2 peppermint shrimp....never have seen them again. But several months later, the peppermint shrimp are still in tank (I know their cave, so I look in on them).
oh - I have the 2 peppermint in a 125 gal.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back