AptasiaX

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a bunch of rock thats infested with aptasia into a 20g nano. There's some lps, softies, a large shrimp, a carpet anenome about 8", and random snail and hermits.
I'm wondering how long should I wait between treatments. Im doing just 1 treatment of 3ml a time.
Also, what trace elements should I be watching for, to make sure I don't get a build up

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with it. I"ve been trying to treat some, and it seems like it kills the smaller Aiptasia, but it seems like the bigger ones go dormant for a few days, and then come back bigger...almost like it's a snack for it!

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just used it for a nuisance algae and could not be happier. Key I was told was to shut down the flow so it has time to smother whatever your trying to kill. I shut my flow off for about 45 minutes and BOOM, it has disappeared.

OP
OP
H

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used it for a nuisance algae and could not be happier. Key I was told was to shut down the flow so it has time to smother whatever your trying to kill. I shut my flow off for about 45 minutes and BOOM, it has disappeared.
They instructions say 15 min. I did my first treatment last night and shut the flow off for 30. I'll go 45 like you do next time. Better safe than sorry.

I've seen peppermint shrimp take these guys out. Getting 2 tomorrow from my lfs if they have some.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use aiptasia x every couple months or so to keep them in check. Turn off flow for 30 minutes and kill as many as I can get to, big or small they all die, it works great for me.

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm not leaving circulation off for long enough. I was turning everything back on after about 15 minutes...maybe i'll leave it for a solid 45....got a few big ones now.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good luck with aptasia x in the past. I found the key to to get them to injest the solution, not cover them. It can be hard to do if in and odd position, but if you see the aptasia curl around and swallow the ‘x’ I have never seen one recover from it. If you slowly put the paste on the disk or tentacles it will consume it. If too fast they will just retract.

OP
OP
H

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed one of the bigger guys recovering. I treated them last night.
I'll take more time on the next treatment and try harder to have the ingest the solution.

How often can I treat my tank without having to do more water changes? Or are water changes part of the routine?

ReefAddiction34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d try the berghia nudis. They worked well for my tank (14g biocube). But if you have larger predatory fish, your just buying them an expensive snack!

OP
OP
H

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Im in no rush. The 20g tank their in is kind of a qt tank for now. Eventually I'd like to save the rocks the coral are on and put it in a bigger dt.

I'd rather not put in the nudis if I cant sustain them with other foods.

How often do you guys treat your tanks when using the aptasia X?
And do you guys notice a change in water chemistry?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the x whenever I see an aptasia but I get them right away so it’s not often. Never noticed a chemistry change, but again I don’t use all that much.

OP
OP
H

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, thats good news.
I'm thinking of 3ml (one syringe) per day for about 20-30 days in a 20g with 3g weekly water changes.
I'm wondering how often and how much others have done to combat an infestation. Anyone?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I took video documentation because it was cool. Had some really large aptasia in the back overflow near the Durso drain. Made a nice kalkwasser paste and gave it to the aptasia. You could see it ingest the paste and go down the stalk, after that it retracted violently and shriveled to a tiny nub for about a week. After that it slowly grew back and after about 3 weeks it was a large aptasia again. Very interesting to watch.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back