AQUA ULTRAVIOLET 40W OZONE/UV

George's reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased an aqua ultraviolet 40w ozone/uv sterilizer. I'm just a little confuse on which ventury at the ends of the fixture is the one I connect to the skimmer.

has any one used this model ? do you have any pictures of how do you have your set it up? i dosent have to be the same wattage as long as is the same ozone/uv model. I know is a more recent uv model with ozone incorporated.

OP
OP
George's reef

George's reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool - I didn't know AquaUV offered a combo UV-Ozone setup. The manual doesn't indicate this?
I didn't know either when I ask the sales rep my lfs about uv or ozone he mentioned to me and I decided to give it a try
Screenshot_20221121_173628_Chrome.jpg

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks just like the 57w I have. After seeing the picture, it screams possible gimmick and you seemingly still have to supply the ozone separately.

Screenshot_20221121-165009.png

Edit: found this via Aqua Uv web site.
Screenshot_20221121-165259.png

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2733.png

Should anyone still be interested. I’m seriously leaning this route. Beats using GAC to eliminate residual Ozone and doesn’t seem you need a skimmer or reactor. Just a simple ventury to introduce the Ozone. Going to call them on Tuesday for better clarification including how the air dryer function works.

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2733.png

Should anyone still be interested. I’m seriously leaning this route. Beats using GAC to eliminate residual Ozone and doesn’t seem you need a skimmer or reactor. Just a simple ventury to introduce the Ozone. Going to call them on Tuesday for better clarification including how the air dryer function works.
A few months old but, did you hear anything on this? Looks interesting...and since I'm about to upgrade my tank (and UV), why not. BTW, seems Triton UV has something it does to add ozone as well.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months old but, did you hear anything on this? Looks interesting...and since I'm about to upgrade my tank (and UV), why not. BTW, seems Triton UV has something it does to add ozone as well.
Reply was confusing. Representative showed me a diagram where ozone was injected post UV. Not sure I articulated my application correctly. Asked as well if flow mattered since interaction with UV-C would convert ozone to hydroxyl radicals and to my thought process based on research I assume that since those are indiscriminate then all organics would be oxidized yet he stuck to the matching wattage and flow based on volume and application as if to completely ignore the role of ozone and in conjunction with UV-C. Pathogen vs bacteria, for example.

I'm just going to try it and see how it goes. Focus is proof of concept prior to final design of my main and QT system both fish and separate inverts. Since I'm unable to acquire the knowledge from search or ask then I'm going to resort to my back up plan as always. Just do it and find out.

My opinion based on purely research, utilizing the same UV-C that produced ozone to catalyze and dissipate solves several problems in that I don't need to rely on a separate corona discharge to maintain and plumb, no ORP controller assuming full dissipation occurs and that avoids leaking into main or room, backup should UV-C fail since same bulb produces the 185nm that creates the ozone therefore safeguard against ozone running while nothing to dissipate it, no need for reactors or skimmers and no need for carbon other than removing borates or other OPO produced which can be done periodically as needed. Still trying to fully grasp how to exactly measure that. Obviously further research and actual experience may change my perception. Only one way to find out.

As to Triton, are you referring to the commercial application used in waste water because that's what led me to research using UV lamps to dissipate hydrogen peroxide but wasn't aware they also have an ozone application, however, I believe these are commercial applications or are you speaking of a hobby grade level option. Was looking into Pentair thinking they'd have something but no option other than Aqua UV found.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vecton Titan: https://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/store/p4/Vecton-8:_Titan_850_25_Watt_PRO_UV.html

There's the 550 and 850. Appears you could do more with less power.
Not familiar with that but what I'm proposing is a UV case where it's larger enough to allow air transmission to interact with 185nm to produce ozone which is then introduced via venturi vs just a straight up UV only option.

Fluval has two similar low profile options.Their latest FX Clarifier supposedly puts out 100% UV-C according to a couple of representatives I spoke with. No clue how accurate that is and I'm no expert on types of lamps and their potential output of any UV wavelength. I believe they are cheaper than this alternative yet only advertise as clarifier and not sterilizer which is what I understand to be needed to kill pathogens.

Pentair has a chart on what wattage and flow needed based on volume based on pathogen and bacteria. Typically impossible to have one UV that can handle both although I believe one just needs a large enough UV and think one watt per gallon at the flow needed for bacteria might be sufficient based on those charts and extrapolating the results. Don't know of any study suggesting one can go too large when it comes to wattage therefore exceeding that recommendation within budget how I'd approach it were ozone not incorporated and still learning about latter as mentioned. For example, leaning towards a 40 w unit on a 20g test tank since post POC I'm seeking a larger QT implementation.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, not so much...just this part of the article:
The increase in kill rate comes by way of a titanium-based lining material that acts as a photocatalyst and produces hydroxyl radicals when the UV-C hits it. The photocatalyst sleeve we believe to be Titanium dioxide, which absorbs light to raise it to a higher energy level, then provides that energy to a reacting substance to make a chemical reaction occur.

The result is oxidation.

Just wondering if this will get you the same effect. Not too much info on this product nor much on people using Aqua UV / Ozone combo. If something like this works and I don't have to spend another $500+ for an Ozone Reactor or make my own, all the better. Guess I could do Randy's 100' of tubing method.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The increase in kill rate comes by way of a titanium-based lining material that acts as a photocatalyst and produces hydroxyl radicals when the UV-C hits it. The photocatalyst sleeve we believe to be Titanium dioxide, which absorbs light to raise it to a higher energy level, then provides that energy to a reacting substance to make a chemical reaction occur.

The result is oxidation.

Just wondering if this will get you the same effect. Not too much info on this product nor much on people using Aqua UV / Ozone combo. If something like this works and I don't have to spend another $500+ for an Ozone Reactor or make my own, all the better. Guess I could do Randy's 100' of tubing method.
Would need to then get Randy to opine on the affects of titanium oxide as a catalyst in salt. Would be a more efficient method and avoid the need to deal with peroxide or ozone.

Not familiar with his 100 foot tubing method. I'll search on R2R. Always looking for alternatives. Thnx

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The result is oxidation.

Went back and read it again. I have concerns about the authenticity when the literature doesn't get it right. Mentions UV-C creating ozone which is incorrect. 185nm creates ozone and UV-C 253nm dissipates it. Could just be a typo but if I'm buying something then I'm expecting the literature to make sense and especially since all UV units that have 185nm create ozone making this not special in that regard. Although to what extent that is practical in water I do not know.

"The lining also creates a reaction with the UVc that produces Ozone, which also increases the kill rate of the sterilizer."

Perhaps what was meant to be said was that the lining along with UV-C dissipates ozone which create hydroxyl radicals. At least that's my understanding although only as to UV-C and ozone. No clue what the titanium dioxide lining actually does. I'm aware certain catalyst are used with peroxide to dissipate it and create the necessary reaction but not versed on that and ozone. I'm still leaning and try to confirm that I think I've learned. I could be way off :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back