Metal Balls in UV Bulb

  • Thread starter Thread starter SpyC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SpyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 6, 2019
Messages
1,557
Reaction score
1,228
Location
MD
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am replacing the uv bulb for my sterilizer with a 25w aqua ultraviolet bulb and noticed there are tiny metal beads in it. The bulb I am replacing does not have this. Is this normal?
 
I am replacing the uv bulb for my sterilizer with a 25w aqua ultraviolet bulb and noticed there are tiny metal beads in it. The bulb I am replacing does not have this. Is this normal?
When they go bad or get too hot, they produce these balls which looks like glass beads
 
I always thought they were a component to light. I've gotten brand new bulbs with these beads but now that I think about it, more do form. I was pretty religious on onky getting a year out if them. I wasn't growing corals though...
 
When they go bad or get too hot, they produce these balls which looks like glass beads
These aren't glass. Definitely tiny metal balls that look similar to what you'd see in a floating thermometer.
 
These aren't glass. Definitely tiny metal balls that look similar to what you'd see in a floating thermometer.
Yes- filaments
 
Some have small 'balls' of a metal alloy used to deactivate some gases that can be generated in the UV light tube.
 
Google says it can also be a piece of metal, usually mercury, which helps to render the correct light spectrum emitted by the tube.
 
I have a brand new Aqua 25W UV that has two of these tiny metal “beads” rolling around. My Google searches said they’re harmless and probably solder from the manufacturing. I’m not going to worry about it.
 
I have a brand new Aqua 25W UV that has two of these tiny metal “beads” rolling around. My Google searches said they’re harmless and probably solder from the manufacturing. I’m not going to worry about it.

I would not assume they are "harmless" since they are mostly or partly mercury, but if they stay inside the bulb they are fine.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new