UV sterilizers

DmitryB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 26, 2026
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
913
Location
Hunter, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm starting to look at a UV sterilizer for my upcoming 170 tank (+74 gallon sump.) Obviously, there are many opinions on what the best sterilizer is. Of all the reviews, TMC Vecton seems to be basically universally beloved. But its biggest model is the 850 and still only has the a 25W bulb and is rated for up 224 gallons. So that's a bummer. It also happens to be remarkably cheap! This is too small for 170 + 74 gallons, right? What if there were two of them installed? (They also look kinda cool.)
 
bump manatee GIF
 
I am now a budget reefer (for the most part) after finding not much value in higher end brands. Honestly, whats the real difference in a high end UV and a budget UV? The bulbs can't be but so different? I put an oversized Jebao 55 watt on my 200 gallon setup and have been happy with it so far. Maybe some one can explain to me what an expensive UV can do that my cheap one can't.
 
I am now a budget reefer (for the most part) after finding not much value in higher end brands. Honestly, whats the real difference in a high end UV and a budget UV? The bulbs can't be but so different? I put an oversized Jebao 55 watt on my 200 gallon setup and have been happy with it so far. Maybe some one can explain to me what an expensive UV can do that my cheap one can't.
Its the bulb rating that counts. First it HAS to be UV-C Rated before any discussion begins I see a lot that say Just an Example 55 but the effective rating is about 35 . Its sometimes difficult to find an honest description . I did see one manufacturer who did post all the ratings as to dose which takes into account the bulb itself which is sometimes referred to as a filter for some reason . Then the volume of the vessel its in . Then lastly the flow . Those three things determine the DOSE . The dose ratings for algae are way lower than for parasites . They cannot treat all parasites to extinction which was pointed out by a few Knowledgeable members , and was an education for me . I have no intention of ever controlling algae , but would not mind a back up for parasites as I refuse to use chemicals. I tried to see if I saved a link but I didn't for some strange reason . Try Science direct for an article
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new