New line of UV sterilizers from Lifeguard

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not sure what to make of this. I like the design but not sure If it is attractive or weird??
What is everyones thoughts?

Bulk Reef Supply

Lifegard Aquatics

40 Watt Pro-MAX High Output UV Sterilizer​

IN STOCK
SKU

$396.00

Skip to the end of the images gallery

40 Watt Pro-MAX High Output UV Sterilizer - Lifegard Aquatics

NEW

Skip to the beginning of the images gallery
Details
LifeGard Pro-MAX 40-watt High Output UV Sterilizer
  • For freshwater or saltwater aquariums up to 250 gallons
  • Effective against bacteria and water-borne algae blooms
  • Unique design, allowing for multiple plumbing configurations
  • Available in 25w, 40w, 55w, 90w, and 120w sizes

The Lifegard Aquatics Pro-Max 40-watt UV sterilizer features a unique patent-pending flow-through design with less restrictive angled inlet and outlet ports, allowing for better flow. The outlets can be positioned in several different directions to fit your available space and plumbing setup without any additional plumbing -- something unique to the LifeGard UV sterilizers vs other brands. This 40-watt Pro-MAX model is ideal for aquariums up to 250 gallons and is sure to help with water-borne bacteria & algae blooms, keeping your aquarium water crystal clear.

Specifications:
Dimensions - 37.3" L x 4.51" W x 9" H
Input/Output Size - 3" Slip Connections
Power Consumption - 40 Watts
Max Operating Pressure - 30 PSI
Max Flow Rate - 2500 GPH
Max Flow Rate for Algae & Bacteria - 1200 GPH
Lamp Life (Hours) - 9000 (approx. 1 year)

What's in the Box?
UV Sterilizer Housing
High Output UV Bulb
Internal Protective Sleeve

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Interesting. I like the 45 degree pipes that are angled in (if you have the additional horizontal space, it looks like it would take up less height and probably improve overall flow).
Agree- that was my thoughts too

Baka Mop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just bought the 55w model based on recommendations on the Humblefish forums for parasite control. They are apparently much more durable and reliable than the aqua or pentair brands. The amalgam bulbs are said to maintain light output over the course of its life cycle better than regular UV bulbs. They have a replaceable inner lining to protect the housing from uv degradation and sell a maintenance kit that comes with all the parts you need to replace after a year of use. I don't think they're new, but maybe they're new revisions, or they are just now being sold on BRS.

jmoneyyy703

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I also got a lifeguard 55w. Made a switch from 40w pentair. The lifeguard feels sturdy and heavy compared to pentair, but never had issues with pentair melting housing like some people faced after a year or two. I been running pentair for almost 2 years without issue.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is what I run and hs been trouble free for me and easy to place under the stand

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully, the quartz sleeve seals are backwards compatible so we have parts for our legacy units.
I think they’re different. So far the previous version seals have been available. If I remember correctly there is an upgrade kit that consists of a new end cap and sleeve (I think the sleeves are sized differently now). @MarineandReef Jaron knows the deal on this, maybe he’ll chime in. I like the weird configuration as it makes the overall length shorter so you can actually fit a decent sized uv inside the stand. I have a 55w pro inside my 750xxl stand and I can even replace the bulb and sleeve without removing the unit.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they’re different. So far the previous version seals have been available. If I remember correctly there is an upgrade kit that consists of a new end cap and sleeve (I think the sleeves are sized differently now). @MarineandReef Jaron knows the deal on this, maybe he’ll chime in. I like the weird configuration as it makes the overall length shorter so you can actually fit a decent sized uv inside the stand. I have a 55w pro inside my 750xxl stand and I can even replace the bulb and sleeve without removing the unit.
The old units used a single nut to seal the sleeve and lamp which was not fun. I have a 55-watt unit at home and it was a pain to replace the sleeve with the original setup. The new units have a separate nut that seals the sleeve and the lamp. This makes it much easier to service the unit. You can now remove the lamp with water in the unit if you need to replace the lamp or check function. If you have an older unit you need this part and a new sleeve to upgrade which I would highly recommend.

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are these better than the Aqua UV units?

Ive always used Aqua UV for the last 9 years, but the replacement drivers are so expensive. I had to DIY them after a while.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own the 25W, the 40W and the 55W. I’ve been running all 3 since last summer and ancedotally seems to have kept ich at bay as when 2 of 3 went offline I had outbreaks in 2 of the 3 tanks …
noteworthy:
Parts seem to be readily available through MarineandReef …
I did have one burn up after my Apex stopped working and failed to notify me of a water flow issue (my fault?)
here is the unit being repaired as we speak:
IMG_0612.jpeg

New bulb, o-rings and inner sleeve….
IMG_0613.jpeg

a 25W unit on 300G2, no disease so far

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own the 25W, the 40W and the 55W. I’ve been running all 3 since last summer and ancedotally seems to have kept ich at bay as when 2 of 3 went offline I had outbreaks in 2 of the 3 tanks …
noteworthy:
Parts seem to be readily available through MarineandReef …
I did have one burn up after my Apex stopped working and failed to notify me of a water flow issue (my fault?)
here is the unit being repaired as we speak:
IMG_0612.jpeg

New bulb, o-rings and inner sleeve….
IMG_0613.jpeg

a 25W unit on 300G2, no disease so far
What sized tanks and what flow are you running these on? I have a 120g DT + 30g sump I'd like to add this to but didn't see much literature on the flow rates for parasitic vs algae maintenance. I was thinking about the 40 watt but didn't know if it was better to go more overboard with the 55 watt.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made one based on the spec sheet Lifegard provided me.
Untitled.png
Hey thanks for the quick ship of parts but maybe pass on that the 55W uses thinner 4” O-Rings that are not included in the kit NOR shown in the 55W illustrated breakdown…Lifegard CS has not responded to my inquiry …
What sized tanks and what flow are you running these on? I have a 120g DT + 30g sump I'd like to add this to but didn't see much literature on the flow rates for parasitic vs algae maintenance. I was thinking about the 40 watt but didn't know if it was better to go more overboard with the 55 watt.
I’m using
- a 40W on a 450 Reefer (110g) with a unknown flow thanks to the VERY flaky 1” Neptune flow meters..basically eyeballing it and going by COR-15 graph in Fusion
- a 55W : 650 Peninsula (180g), flow unknown, again no thanks to the crappy butt Neptune flow metter
- 25W: 300G2 @ 122GPH “allegedly” per 1/2” Neptune flow meter

…also would like to re-emphasize the ole “Ich is always present” idiom “could be true” as I got IMMEDIATE ich outbreaks following the UV units going offline (my 650 is still w/o its 55W) … ( presently/currently using “less conventional” ich control methods in lieu of UV)
…again, relevance being, it seems these units do work..

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for the quick ship of parts but maybe pass on that the 55W uses thinner 4” O-Rings that are not included in the kit NOR shown in the 55W illustrated breakdown…Lifegard CS has not responded to my inquiry …

I’m using
- a 40W on a 450 Reefer (110g) with a unknown flow thanks to the VERY flaky 1” Neptune flow meters..basically eyeballing it and going by COR-15 graph in Fusion
- a 55W : 650 Peninsula (180g), flow unknown, again no thanks to the crappy butt Neptune flow metter
- 25W: 300G2 @ 122GPH “allegedly” per 1/2” Neptune flow meter

…also would like to re-emphasize the ole “Ich is always present” idiom “could be true” as I got IMMEDIATE ich outbreaks following the UV units going offline (my 650 is still w/o its 55W) … ( presently/currently using “less conventional” ich control methods in lieu of UV)
…again, relevance being, it seems these units do work..
Thanks!

So based on that and the chart provided I should be fine adding the 40w to a 120g+30g sump and aim for 350-400gph. Just want to make sure my line of thought is correct before I order one.

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to go with the 55w and plumb inline with return. This isn't super accurate but my return is a Jebao DCP-8000 dialed down to ~50%. Accounting for head loss it's ~700gph which lines up nicely with the 55w recommendation for parasitic management.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back