Aqua Ultraviolet 57 watt classic flow rate.

Tomjohn537

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a Aqua Ultraviolet 57 watt classic sterilizer. I am looking for suggested flow rate. As far as I've seen it requires a minimum flow rate of 1,066 gph for fish parasites and 3,200 for algae control. Are these numbers correct? The most flow that I can generate is around 1,500 gph. Should I run at the 1,066 gph and not worry about trying to control algae or run at 1,500 gph and hope that it has some effect?
Thanks

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a Aqua Ultraviolet 57 watt classic sterilizer. I am looking for suggested flow rate. As far as I've seen it requires a minimum flow rate of 1,066 gph for fish parasites and 3,200 for algae control. Are these numbers correct? The most flow that I can generate is around 1,500 gph. Should I run at the 1,066 gph and not worry about trying to control algae or run at 1,500 gph and hope that it has some effect?
Thanks
My understanding is it has more to do with water volume turnover if you are using for Dino etc. What is the total water volume of your system? Are you trying to control algae/dinos or parasites?

OP
OP
T

Tomjohn537

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is it has more to do with water volume turnover if you are using for Dino etc. What is the total water volume of your system? Are you trying to control algae/dinos or parasites?
My system is 200 gallons total. 160 display, 40 gallon sump. I would like control algae first and then dial it down if I begin to have fish parasites. At least that's the plan

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is 200 gallons total. 160 display, 40 gallon sump. I would like control algae first and then dial it down if I begin to have fish parasites. At least that's the plan
I think the aquaUV numbers are wonky for flow. Personally I would use pentair flow rates. If you follow their guidelines for the 50w pentair model they list the following for a 300g tank. That’s a 5x flow for algae and 1x for parasites. At 200g your good around 1000gph for algae and 200gph for parasites. Provided of course the unit can supply enough UV at the faster rate. 57w should be able to handle upward of 1500gph for algae control.
  • Algae & Bacteria Water Flow Rate: 1560GPH/1980GPH (Suggested*/Maximum)
  • Protozoa Bacteria Water Flow Rate: 260GPH/330GPH (Suggested*/Maximum)

Last edited:

Borg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a aqua ultraviolet 57watt with a vectra L1 pump at full max on my 180 gallon

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back