UV sterilizer: 2 x 15Watt (Different task) or one 25Watt ?

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should one get two 15 Watt at 200$ or one 25Watt at 400$ ? (CAD Prices)

One 15Watt for Algae and the other one for Parasite...

Or

25 Watt with a in between flow rate ?

Is there one better then the other ?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an issue with alage? you can address that in a number of different ways; you shouldn't really need UV for that.

For parasites, I would go as big as can I afford and have room for, aim for 1-1.5x tank turnover. Make sure to run it from your sump directly back to your display and not just from "sump to sump" to treat as much of your water as possible.

On my 120 gallon tank, I use a 55w UV with about 550 l/hr flow rate.

When talking about parasites, eradication is utopia. You can manage the free swimming ones to a certain extent though.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an issue with alage? you can address that in a number of different ways; you shouldn't really need UV for that.

For parasites, I would go as big as can I afford and have room for, aim for 1-1.5x tank turnover. Make sure to run it from your sump directly back to your display and not just from "sump to sump" to treat as much of your water as possible.

On my 120 gallon tank, I use a 55w UV with about 550 l/hr flow rate.

When talking about parasites, eradication is utopia. You can manage the free swimming ones to a certain extent though.
Only a slight diatom issue on rocks only. No issue I would say, it would only be preventative for algae.

So the 25Watt would be the better option. So lets say my tank is ~45G the turn over rate would be 45GPH - 67GPH . I would close the valve down to a minimum almost

My sump has a manifold coming from the return, I would like it to connect it there but the water would go back into the sump... I would need to look for a solution I guess

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a slight diatom issue on rocks only. No issue I would say, it would only be preventative for algae.

So the 25Watt would be the better option. So lets say my tank is ~45G the turn over rate would be 45GPH - 67GPH . I would close the valve down to a minimum almost

My sump has a manifold coming from the return, I would like it to connect it there but the water would go back into the sump... I would need to look for a solution I guess
You can plumb it in that way, it will be less effective than a pump feeding it directly back into the display as you will be treating the same water over and over again - but it's a way to do it for sure! :) - There's nothing wrong with doing it like this.

As for your diatoms, there are other- more effective and lasting ways to treat them than a UV sterilizer.

Is it a particularly new tank you have? Diatoms usually go away after "the ugglies"..

Have a look at BRS's algae control guide.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can plumb it in that way, it will be less effective than a pump feeding it directly back into the display as you will be treating the same water over and over again - but it's a way to do it for sure! :) - There's nothing wrong with doing it like this.

As for your diatoms, there are other- more effective and lasting ways to treat them than a UV sterilizer.

Is it a particularly new tank you have? Diatoms usually go away after "the ugglies"..

Have a look at BRS's algae control guide.
My tank is 3 months old. The diatoms are light but constant since the past 2-4 weeks.

The UV would be bought at the end of March.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These two threads have lots of information to consider in asnwering your question.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 3 months old. The diatoms are light but constant since the past 2-4 weeks.

The UV would be bought at the end of March.
yeah that's a new tank.. :) UV isnt' the right solution for that! - thats new tank syndrome!

Have a look at @threebuoys articles above, solid information for you there!

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that's a new tank.. :) UV isnt' the right solution for that! - thats new tank syndrome!

Have a look at @threebuoys articles above, solid information for you there!
I wasn't looking at UV for my diatom issue but for parasite.

But since I could ALSO manage algae I was wondering about 2 uv or one big

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back