Help me understand how to set up UV sterilizer

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AquaUV Advantage 2000+ UV 15-Watt sterilizer coming this week for an ostreopsis outbreak... Not sure how to set it up?

I've read about the flow rates for different UV dosages (I think I need 30-45,000 µw/cm2 for dinos, so about 500 gph? sounds like a lot!) - what kind of pump do I actually use with it? My system is 50 gallons total.

I see people talk about using whatever sicce or powerhead, but would that mean I put the pump in the display itself?

I understand it's more effective to run the UV between the display and the sump; I was hoping I could set it up to pull from the overflow box so I don't have to have my lid propped open for the line.

Thanks very much! I'm sure these are very basic questions but I am having a hard time visualising how to put it all together :)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water needs to be pushed thru the uv unit. The clearer the water the better the UV unit will work. Not sure how you could put it in your overflow box unless it is a coast to coast box with room for a pump and the UV unit. Most people plumb them like a media reactor in smaller tanks.

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water needs to be pushed thru the uv unit. The clearer the water the better the UV unit will work. Not sure how you could put it in your overflow box unless it is a coast to coast box with room for a pump and the UV unit. Most people plumb them like a media reactor in smaller tanks.
I had just seen a lot of people in the dino threads saying that it was more effective to run the UV between the display and sump or just purely off the display rather than from the sump, which I guess would mean you'd need a pump up in the display to feed it from.

I have small fish that jump so I was hoping to avoid having to prop my lid open to allow water tubing to pass through; that was my hope with having the intake in the overflow. I think I was picturing like a canister filter setup where the intake in the tank is just a small tube and the actual pump is down below...

Thanks!

jjludwick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had just seen a lot of people in the dino threads saying that it was more effective to run the UV between the display and sump or just purely off the display rather than from the sump, which I guess would mean you'd need a pump up in the display to feed it from.

I have small fish that jump so I was hoping to avoid having to prop my lid open to allow water tubing to pass through; that was my hope with having the intake in the overflow. I think I was picturing like a canister filter setup where the intake in the tank is just a small tube and the actual pump is down below...

Thanks!
You’re assuming all pumps are submersible onpy
Pumps. Sicce 3.0 and 6.0 pumps can be external or submersible and come with all the connectors to perform either function. You run an intake line from your tank to the sicce pumps intake then pass the water out to the intake side of UV and then out the iv back to your tank

These pumps are great and ultra quiet

Hope that helps

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back