Aquaforest 1+2+3 and adding additional trace (non-DIY)

ashr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am currently using the liquid AF 1+2+3 and looking to add more trace elements that I seem to be lacking via my ICP test found here: https://lab.faunamarin.de/en/share/analysis/106736.

Since I am doing the ready made liquid, I didn't think adding their additional "Components Strong" as it seems to be only useful when using their DIY dry chemicals.

Any thoughts of what I can use to bump up things like: Iodine, Potassium, Zinc, Copper and all the other lower elements? I could buy their small 10ml and manually dose but I am hoping for something a bit more simple or maybe ill need to add it to a new doser?

Tank is a Red Sea 170 mainly LPS ( I used to house many SPS until a crash a couple years ago) I have a lot of nice torches and such and just want healthy coral with some good colors.

Cheers,

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am currently using the liquid AF 1+2+3 and looking to add more trace elements that I seem to be lacking via my ICP test found here: https://lab.faunamarin.de/en/share/analysis/106736.

Since I am doing the ready made liquid, I didn't think adding their additional "Components Strong" as it seems to be only useful when using their DIY dry chemicals.

Any thoughts of what I can use to bump up things like: Iodine, Potassium, Zinc, Copper and all the other lower elements? I could buy their small 10ml and manually dose but I am hoping for something a bit more simple or maybe ill need to add it to a new doser?

Tank is a Red Sea 170 mainly LPS ( I used to house many SPS until a crash a couple years ago) I have a lot of nice torches and such and just want healthy coral with some good colors.

Cheers,
There is a diy additives thread if you want to experiment with trace elements.

OP
OP
ashr

ashr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just was not sure if I would want to use something like Components Strong when I am using the AF 1+2+3 pre-made liquid. I was under the understanding it was only used if you do the AF 1+2+3 dry.

Water changes are 10% every few weeks. (I sometimes get lazy after being in the hobby for many years.. A habit I am trying to break)

The tank is 5+ years at this point.

I just wanna keep up on my trace if the tank is depleting it more then what I am able to add in via the 1+2+3.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just was not sure if I would want to use something like Components Strong when I am using the AF 1+2+3 pre-made liquid. I was under the understanding it was only used if you do the AF 1+2+3 dry.

Water changes are 10% every few weeks. (I sometimes get lazy after being in the hobby for many years.. A habit I am trying to break)

The tank is 5+ years at this point.

I just wanna keep up on my trace if the tank is depleting it more then what I am able to add in via the 1+2+3.
AF 1+2+3 is simply the AF Powder Products (KH Buffer, Calcium, and Reef Salts) premixed into a solution with Components Strong already added.

You do not want to add Components Strong as well, as you will be doubling the dose of the trace elements.

I have been manually mixing for several years as I can obtain the raw powder ingredients much cheaper in bulk online. I then add components strong.

The link I posted above is valuable if you decide to manually increase particular trace elements. I found for instance that manually adding additional Manganese made difference to some types of LPS coral.

I would not expect to see much in the way of additional color 'pop' above what you are seeing with AF 1+2+3 unless your tank has some unusually high consumption of a particular trace required by a particular coral.

OP
OP
ashr

ashr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AF 1+2+3 is simply the AF Powder Products (KH Buffer, Calcium, and Reef Salts) premixed into a solution with Components Strong already added.

You do not want to add Components Strong as well, as you will be doubling the dose of the trace elements.

I have been manually mixing for several years as I can obtain the raw powder ingredients much cheaper in bulk online. I then add components strong.

The link I posted above is valuable if you decide to manually increase particular trace elements. I found for instance that manually adding additional Manganese made difference to some types of LPS coral.

I would not expect to see much in the way of additional color 'pop' above what you are seeing with AF 1+2+3 unless your tank has some unusually high consumption of a particular trace required by a particular coral.
I will check out the link you posted above. Thank you for the info :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He says his icp shows them low, so there’s no reason he should not use the af components instead of a different brand to raise them

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back