Aquaforest Reef Salt residue

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange problem, didnt see that happen before.....

Aquaforest reef salt, i aded salt into rodi water, mixed well with pump, heater was in container also, 25c water temp.....

I aded one cup at a time, and left to mix, later i found some residue, not sure how to describe, on surface of saltwater, like white dust.

This is vissibke only when i turn off the pump, when water is still, while mixing you cannot see that particle film on top of water. Water itself is clear, no floating particles inside.

Container and equipment was clean, salt was well shaken and tummbled in bag...... Of course, container was with closed lid during mixing....

Newer seen something like this, this is first time i use aquaforest reef salt,maybe its normal?

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aquaforest reef salt, i aded salt into rodi water, mixed well with pump, heater was in container also, 25c water temp.....

I aded one cup at a time, and left to mix, later i found some residue, not sure how to describe, on surface of saltwater, like white dust.

This is vissibke only when i turn off the pump, when water is still, while mixing you cannot see that particle film on top of water. Water itself is clear, no floating particles inside.

Container and equipment was clean, salt was well shaken and tummbled in bag...... Of course, container was with closed lid during mixing....

Newer seen something like this, this is first time i use aquaforest reef salt,maybe its normal?
Try putting your protein skimmer in there to clean it up it should be just fine after that.

OP
OP
Koh23

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dirty protein skimmer from sump in bucket with fresly made saltwater?

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I noticed the skimmate like bubbles on the water surface. Very strange to me as well. Supply chain issue? thats why they are no longer available? Or are the EU salts all experiencing a change in quality due to covid and supply chain.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using Aquaforest salt in the past due to the precipitate that forms several days after mixing. One of the metals, most likely iron, would drop out of solution and form a brown/black film. When I investigated the cause, I found that AF recommended the salt be used within 48 hours. Since I like to mix up a couple weeks of water, that did not work for me.

I switched to Tropic Marin Pro Reef, which mixed up crystal clear and did not precipitate anything regardless of how long I stored it. My latest batch of TM, from the new Turkey supplier, is now precipitating a brown/black film just like the AF did before. Sigh, very disappointing for a company like TM to allow such poor quality product to carry their name.

Dennis

OP
OP
Koh23

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what is the reason, maybe i did something wrong, ill see with next water change.....

But never had such issues, i also liked to have bucket mixed and ready in advance, with redsea coral pro salt never had any issue, but ist out of stock for now, so i had to use af salt.....

I mixed for about two hours, plenty time for salt to dissolve, instructions says 15 minutes if mixing......

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used Aquaforest. I mix for 2 hours and then use it. Never had a coating on the surface. If I mix a large batch and let it mix for a week, I’ll have some brown crud but the water is still good to use. If you are getting particles on the surface either your bucket had dust and debris or you aren’t mixing it enough maybe. When you mix the water are you getting surface agitation or is the mixing happening below the surface?

OP
OP
Koh23

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, surface agitation, i mix 60l of water in container, with 20000lph pump, so really dont matter where u put pump, but i always aim it for the surface....

Like i said, tried many salt so far, and this is first time i have such issue.

Container is clean, serves only for this purpose, after use i clean and store it, with lid on. Before use, i wash it again, so i think its verry little chance that container is issue here....

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back