Aquaforest seasalt help for reef

SpringPiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend just bought out of the blue a bucket of aquaforest seasalt for me. My question is. Can I use this for my tank? I have a few softies and LPS in my tank right now and I don't dose anything. I have always used aquaforest reef salt and it will be my first time to use this AF seasalt. any inputs would be appreciated!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm unfamiliar with either version. It might help you get answers if you explained the differences between the two.

If it's like IO (Instant Ocean) and IO Reef Salt, that the reef salt has higher Ca, alk and Mg levels, then you will need to follow Ca and alk levels more carefully. If your tank is new and you don't have a lot of big corals yet, it may not be an issue at all. And eventually you are likely to need to start dosing Ca and alk even if you use the reef version with higher levels... unless you do a lot of water changes or keep very few corals.

OP
OP
SpringPiggy

SpringPiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm unfamiliar with either version. It might help you get answers if you explained the differences between the two.

If it's like IO (Instant Ocean) and IO Reef Salt, that the reef salt has higher Ca, alk and Mg levels, then you will need to follow Ca and alk levels more carefully. If your tank is new and you don't have a lot of big corals yet, it may not be an issue at all. And eventually you are likely to need to start dosing Ca and alk even if you use the reef version with higher levels... unless you do a lot of water changes or keep very few corals.
Hi! AF reef salt has elevated alk, Ca, and Mg levels and sea salt is more like nsw if I'm not mistaken. I do water changes every week and I don't have that much corals yet and no big corals.. Will my corals do good if I use this salt for the time being? And not dose anything?

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AF Reef Salt:
1595336357770.png

AF Sea Salt:

1595336424494.png

There is some difference in the numbers, so you might need to adjust your dosing.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 68 48.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back