AquaMaxx skimmer question

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all,
I just installed the AquaMaxx HOB 1.5 skimmer on my JBJ45 rimless. The setup went well and it primed quickly.
I do have the bubble inhibitor but the darn thing is a bit large for my back sump -- so I purchased 3/4" piece of PVC and made sure the return pipe was below the water line. I also discovered that placing the intake in one chamber and the return in another -- micro bubbles are not an issue.
Question: The bubbles in the chamber have not yet even reached the collection cup. Is this normal? I've read there is a break in period of possibly a few weeks -- but not sure what to expect during the break in period -- bubbles everywhere or like my experience -- not many bubbles at all :)
Appreciate your experienced observations!
-gene

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: The bubbles in the chamber have not yet even reached the collection cup. Is this normal? I've read there is a break in period of possibly a few weeks -- but not sure what to expect during the break in period -- bubbles everywhere or like my experience -- not many bubbles at all :)

Yes,
There is a break in period and if it's on a new reef, it will take longer.
It's got to built a film (slim) coat on the inside. A vinegar bath can speed up the process, by removing the grease during production.

But, If it's a brand new reef, it tanks time to build up the organics for the skimmer to pull.

By the way:
I used to push the original HOB-1, and it was a great skimmer... :)

OP
OP
McGene

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It is indeed a new reef tank. I've already had my outbreaks of diatoms and cyanobacteria -- all cared for successfully -- before adding the skimmer. While some reefers with a similar size tank claim a skimmer is not really needed -- I found a great deal here from a fellow R2R post and thought it would be a good investment for the future as my reef tank matures. BTW, I did do the vinegar bath -- even recommended by the previous owner.

Back