Aquamaxx standard fluidized carbon/gfo media reactor

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me the setup of this. Directions are poor. It has the bottom plate with holes. Top plate with holes. A seperate bag has 2 sponges and two more base/disks that are mostly cut out except a few spokes that are spiral look. No idea every picture I see only does not show those at all. What are they for and how to use them.

I emailed aquamaxx 2 times and no response in over a week

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can someone tell me the setup of this. Directions are poor. It has the bottom plate with holes. Top plate with holes. A seperate bag has 2 sponges and two more base/disks that are mostly cut out except a few spokes that are spiral look. No idea every picture I see only does not show those at all. What are they for and how to use them.

I emailed aquamaxx 2 times and no response in over a week

Check out this video on YouTube to see if this helps. If not, do a search on YouTube and you should find several other comparable videos that may help. Good luck!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I searched YouTube. Not 1 video shows these disks that are included with the sponges. It's crazy

Wow. Maybe post some pictures and we can help you figure it out?

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Maybe post some pictures and we can help you figure it out?
20190702_133910.jpg

As you can see only one red o ring. 4 sponge . Two for each reactor and what are those other disk . No images online show these things

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a response

When placing the parts inside the reactor, it the layers should be in the following order:

1. Bottom perforated disc
  2. Foam
  3. Spokes disc
  4. O-ring
  5. Media
  6. O-ring
  7. Spokes disc
  8. Foam
  9. Perforated disc
Now I gotta see if they will send me 2 more since I only received 2 for 2 reactors

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got a response

When placing the parts inside the reactor, it the layers should be in the following order:

2. Foam
  3. Spokes disc
  4. O-ring
  5. Media
  6. O-ring
  7. Spokes disc
  8. Foam
  9. Perforated disc
Now I gotta see if they will send me 2 more since I only received 2 for 2 reactors

I'm glad that you received this feedback. Once I saw the pictures I knew the discs were to hold the foam in place and I assumed that the o-rings were to hold the discs in place, so I was scratching my head on what I was missing!

Hopefully you can get the missing pieces from the vendor, but if not then let us know and we can see what we can come up with. Good luck!

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad that you received this feedback. Once I saw the pictures I knew the discs were to hold the foam in place and I assumed that the o-rings were to hold the discs in place, so I was scratching my head on what I was missing!

Hopefully you can get the missing pieces from the vendor, but if not then let us know and we can see what we can come up with. Good luck!

I kinda had the idea that's where it went but only having 2 disks and not 4 totally threw me for a loop. But I contacted marine depot who does their warranty and tech side. Said it's a new thing they started adding to the reactors. So I might have just got a new one and a slight older mode . But he is going to reach out to aquamaxx and send 2 more spoke disks and also the one o ring that is missing.

So i should be set. I ordered a o ring kit from Amazon to use for when i add the threaded 1/2 PVC to hard pipe it. But not sure if these are special o rings they give me that are ok to be in the water. The ones I bought. Not sure are reef safe so I rather have the ring o ring inside reactor and just use the ones I bought for the fittings to make no leaks.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I kinda had the idea that's where it went but only having 2 disks and not 4 totally threw me for a loop. But I contacted marine depot who does their warranty and tech side. Said it's a new thing they started adding to the reactors. So I might have just got a new one and a slight older mode . But he is going to reach out to aquamaxx and send 2 more spoke disks and also the one o ring that is missing.

So i should be set. I ordered a o ring kit from Amazon to use for when i add the threaded 1/2 PVC to hard pipe it. But not sure if these are special o rings they give me that are ok to be in the water. The ones I bought. Not sure are reef safe so I rather have the ring o ring inside reactor and just use the ones I bought for the fittings to make no leaks.

Sounds good. Am I miscounting or won’t you need 3 more o-rings for a total of 4?

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so but according to them

Aquamaxx themselves.

2. Foam
  3. Spokes disc
  4. O-ring
  5. Media
  6. O-ring
  7. Spokes disc
  8. Foam
  9. Perforated disc
So I'd say one on top of upper foam would help prevent it to go up from flow but they dont say so I guess it foam gets pushed up on upper part I guess that shows me to much flow?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I apologize for not explaining well. What I meant was that it seems that you need two o-rings for each reactor (#4 & #6) and because you have two reactors then you would need a total of four based on their description.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for not explaining well. What I meant was that it seems that you need two o-rings for each reactor (#4 & #6) and because you have two reactors then you would need a total of four based on their description.
Oh sorry. It came with 1 each. Plus that extra in the photo. So I just need 1

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190702_133910.jpg

As you can see only one red o ring. 4 sponge . Two for each reactor and what are those other disk . No images online show these things

Hi Michael! I am in the process of plumbing a pair of Aquamaxx XS reactors into my return manifold. For the reactor on the left, how did you switch your barbed elbows to straight slip fit connectors? (I will be suspending the reactors from the manifold since the Reefer 250 stand space is so tight.

I can remove the water exit barbed connector (the offset one) because it just comes off with a nut, but the center water inlet barbed connector is either super tight or the hex part is slightly recessed into the lid. Did you have to push on the barbed connector to get it out somehow?

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Michael! I am in the process of plumbing a pair of Aquamaxx XS reactors into my return manifold. For the reactor on the left, how did you switch your barbed elbows to straight slip fit connectors? (I will be suspending the reactors from the manifold since the Reefer 250 stand space is so tight.

I can remove the water exit barbed connector (the offset one) because it just comes off with a nut, but the center water inlet barbed connector is either super tight or the hex part is slightly recessed into the lid. Did you have to push on the barbed connector to get it out somehow?
IRA recessed but it's still a nut. And can. Be screwed off hood the nut with wrench and screw the fitting

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michael -

I have the exact same issue. Watched videos for an hour and nothing explained the spoked parts that came. The instructions are horrible and confusing.

So per the instructions that Aquamaxx sent you I put in the sponge and then the spoked disk and then it says to put in an O-Ring. Do I slide the O-Ring all the way down so it's right above the spoked plate at the bottom?

Thank you.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michael -

I have the exact same issue. Watched videos for an hour and nothing explained the spoked parts that came. The instructions are horrible and confusing.

So per the instructions that Aquamaxx sent you I put in the sponge and then the spoked disk and then it says to put in an O-Ring. Do I slide the O-Ring all the way down so it's right above the spoked plate at the bottom?

Thank you.
Yees

Back