Aquarium Controllers Digital Aquatics vs Neptune Apex vs ??

thejoshdavis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the market for a controller. I've abandoned (almost) the Arduino controller plans for now. I'll most likely build that out for some home automation.

I've setup some of the club member's Apex units and I really like the interface, programming, and its ease of use. I don't want to rule out anything else just because I've never used one.

So, what's everyone's thoughts on the controllers on the market. Pros, cons, nuisances, etc, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After what I've read and heard from many others, the Neptune's blow the Digital Aquatics out of the water. I have not read of too many people that are happy with the DA's. The Neptunes have a lot more expand-ability as well, which I know you will like!

Plus you are already a pro at programming them...

ibbennyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont even put digital aquatics on your radar. i have the elite / net and only reason i still use it and havent made the switch is simply because of the amount of money i have wrapped up in it. they are so far behind and nothing but empty promises company is a joke support is horrible so my vote is go with anything other than digital aquatics.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont even put digital aquatics on your radar. i have the elite / net and only reason i still use it and havent made the switch is simply because of the amount of money i have wrapped up in it. they are so far behind and nothing but empty promises company is a joke support is horrible so my vote is go with anything other than digital aquatics.

Well there you go Josh. That about sums it up.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my RKE works great. but yes. they are behind and havent come out with anything new in a long time. if they dont step it up, they will be off the map....

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've already got the background in setting them up, I'd go with the APEX.

I have the RKL I won at the swap, and I'm looking forward to finally hooking it up. I have done quite a bit of research finding out what I'll be able to do with it, and it's no where near what some of the other units on the market will do. However, I'm not really looking for something that will maintain my reef parameters, host a web forum, launch Chinese satellites, and hack into XBOX live, so I don't really have a need for the APEX.

Mac

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RKL on my nano tank. For what it is and the price I paid, I couldn't justify an apex. Now for my 180g, I will only get an apex. I got the RKL with 2 PC4s, SL1, temp probe and a ph probe for 250 new. Apex cant touch that. I spent an extra $30 and got the float for my ATO and I'm set.

meintn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also looking at possibly getting a controller for my new tank here soon. I have made the jump from RKL to RKL plus in my head but with the RKE Titanium out for under $300 new, it's tempting as well. To get the temp and pH probe combo with Apex Lite, since I've heard not nice things about the Apex Jr, you'll be spending $500. To be fair though, the $500 Apex package will give you net and light dimming capability as well. Decisions decisions...

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget about the apex lite.... Mid 300's will get you up and running just fine. You don't need the full apex as you don't have lights that will work with the extra variable ports that are on the apex. The lite still has all the options and expansion abilities as the apex though.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP on my Panini Maker.

meintn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the time you get a pH probe you're back over $400 again. Is the Apex worth $100+ more than the RKE?

OP
OP
thejoshdavis

thejoshdavis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the time you get a pH probe you're back over $400 again. Is the Apex worth $100+ more than the RKE?

From the work I've done with the Apex I can see that the quality inside the "OS" is there. I said the same thing about the price, but it does look like you get what you pay for on these. The iOS app for the Apex is LEGIT. Bundle it with some of my tools from my IT toolbox and I would be a very happy camper with the amount of remote control and monitoring its capable of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Wrx5803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to try and sell anything because this is not the fs area but have have a complete apex.i dont intend to use. I bought it used but it does way more then I need. I have also owed a da elitw and think they are built nice but for the money apex has my vote. Pm if u would.like further details

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back